Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Introducing new fish to pond

Posted by Gasnick none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 19:02

What other kind of fish, (except Koi) can I add to an existing goldfish pond that are unlikely to introduce diseases. Any special process on how to introduce or what to treat new fish with, to reduce chance of infection.

Thanks,
Gasnick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Introducing new fish to pond

• Posted by pcan UT 6b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 19:55

I called the mosquito abatement folks and they dropped off about a dozen mosquito fish for free to my garden pond that already had comets. I think they have all adapted well. One thing they told me is that mosquito fish will kill small goldfish so don't add them of your fish are small. My comets are about 8 inches and the mosquito fish are about 2 inches so no big deal. Mosquito fish also bread like crazy and can easily take over a pond, but luckily we are in a cool enough climate they wont survive the winters so again not a big deal. They will also eat your comet eggs faster than the comets so not a good chance of babies surviving.

I may not add them next year, who knows but they are neat to watch and I like having the variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here