Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solsort1_dk

My very first upper pond - photos -

solsort1_dk
14 years ago

Hi again.

Following my first post, here is the setting for my new upper pond.

If I hadnt read a lot of the posts on here about ppl re-making their ponds, enlarging them and adding to them, after a very short time... I sure would have felt very silly remaking all this after only two weeks... giggle.

{{gwi:222767}}

I just couldnt resist getting more pond-space, and also playing with liner, seing my first pond is a pre-made.

I dug like this cuz I mostly want this pond with very shallow water with smaller rocks for all the birdies, and the rest for plants.

Getting regular liner made me able to make a wider stream too.

{{gwi:222768}}

{{gwi:222769}}

I already made my first mistake on this project, as I didnt dig out for a weir in the first place. When I filled the upper pond, I kept having this feeling that there had to be something missing for this to work :-D Fortunately a pair of bricks under the liner solved this.

{{gwi:222770}}

I really liked the shape of my previous viggly stream, but this way I get more pond :-D I realise the stream-bed should probably have been a bit deeper for the water to run over the pebbles. But it was really dark when I finished it, so I will have to see if I feel like changing that tomorrow.

{{gwi:222771}}

I just managed to get a few more rocks in the upper pond for the birdies to sit on for their morning bath and then I couldnt see what I was doing anymore :-) Its night here in Denmark now.

{{gwi:222772}}

I really enjoy being able to share my ponding experience with all you like-minded guys... My husband and daughters just nod and say 'yeah, thats nice' :-D

Goodnight from Denmark,

Hanne

Here is a link that might be useful: My very first pond

Comments (7)

• horton
    14 years ago

Hanne, you know we will not shun you, especially now that you are an Official Pond Nut [OPN] like the rest of us.
    Great job, and your garden is beautiful.
    "Horton"

• teri904
    14 years ago

Your pond looks very nice with all your hard work :o)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

All of our friends and family "smile and nod" and get glazed over eyes when we talk about our ponds. That is why we all pond online. :)

It looks fantastic.

• frogman4_gw
    14 years ago

Very pretty set up. I'm not sure by looking at the pics but if you did not pack down the berm you will experience a lot of settling and leaks around the perimeter of the upper pond. Better to fix it now before you add plants to that area.

• goodkarma_
    14 years ago

Great Job! I am a sucker for those beautiful round stones and rocks you have incorporated in the waterfall and pond. I don't have any rocks in the pond, and yours look lovely. Also I love how you have invited the birds to your ponds.

So now that you are a Pond Nut, what are your future plans? Every year there will be a new plan. Really. lol

Warm Regards,
    Lisa

• pondbucket
    14 years ago

I really like how you have that balance of flowers and turf around your edges. The grass edge is really hard to do well and it looks beautiful in your pictures!

Fantastic.

• solsort1_dk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your nice comments.

I posted the rest of the pics of the pond in a separate post, as Im not sure if its ok that posts have too many pics on here?

Horton, Im so proud to be rewarded an OPN! Im still reading my way through all the old posts on here in between ponding, and Ive already read enough to know that the OPN is an honour :-D

Thanks Frogman, for reminding me to pack down the berm. By the time I laid down the liner I had stepped so much around in that bed, that I had a hard time making holes for plants afterwards :-D

Lisa, Im very lucky to live in a country full of rocks. We have lots of farmland and every year when the farmers plow they have to remove hundreds of these round rocks, we call them field-rocks. So most of them give them away for free, just to get rid of them. We did pick most of ours up from a query not far from here. You can fill a trailer with as many as you like and pay $10. Amazing, eh?

Pondbucket, I like to think of my garden as a cottage-style garden, thatÂs why I wanted as much planting as possible around the pond. I was really lucky with the lawn edges, as I had been a bit lazy and hadnt edged my lawn up to the slabs I removed for the pond. So the grass had grown way in over the slabs, and I just took those pieces of turf and laid over the edge of the pond.

Ive already begun eyeing a setting for a bigger pond some day. Now that I got the goldies, and learned that they wont stay tiny, I cant keep them in this tiny one forever :-D My husband insists that we keep this one too though :-)

Take care,
    Hanne in Denmark

Here is a link that might be useful: My very first pond Part 2