Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsquared18

Bell & Howell Animal Repeller vs Raccoons?

bsquared18
13 years ago

Hi,

I just saw an ad on TV for the Bell and Howell (a respected brand name) Ultrasonic Animal Repeller, where they specifically showed a raccoon being affected by the high-pitched noise.

Reviews on sites like Amazon.com dealt mostly with mice, spiders, etc., and the reviews were decidedly mixed.

I've yet to find a way to keep raccoons away from my pond. Has anyone tried the Bell and Howell device for repelling raccoons, and, if so, with what results?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (6)

• horton
    13 years ago

Bill, I tried one of those so called, ultrasonic sound devices, (not the Bell and Howell one) to get rid of mice and I did not see any results to the good.
    I figured the mice were wearing ear plugs and laughing at my stupidity, at being sucked into buying the useless thing in the first place.

I figure if the Bell and Howell unit does work?? It would more than likely bug the h--- out of the next door neighbours dog or budgie, than deter a raccoon from going near the pond.
    Just my opinion.

I use an electric fence, which is about 6" to 8" high, around my ponds. The charger I have, is for a small horse corral and I made my wire support rods out of PVC pipe. There is a kit type electric fence, on the market, called "Fido Shock" that does a good job of keeping those malevolent masked marauders out of the pond.
    "Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Fido Shock.

• bsquared18
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Horton, you're probably right. Still interested in whether anyone in this forum has tried it for raccoons.

I've considered Fido Shock but have not figured out how to maintain the natural look of the pond instead of making it look like a fenced in prison.

I've also considered Nite Guard blinking lights, which I queried about elsewhere in this forum (see link). I haven't tried that approach yet because of the doubtful utility and the cost. I also used powdered coyote urine for a while, but it's expensive and washes away.

The only thing that has worked, most of the time, is netting on a frame put over the pond each night.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion of Nite Guard

• horton
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting the link Bill, I wasn't frequenting the forum that much during the winter and missed it.

I too would be skeptical about flashing lights scaring off raccoons. The city wise raccoons do not scare too easily.
    They are used to lights, noise and movements of people in their adopted environment.

Sandy's posted story about Rush "Limburger", the "Cheesy radio guy", scaring off the raccoons, I can believe that.
    His odious ramblings scare off many humans!
    "Horton"

• mybusyfamily6
    13 years ago

I have not tried that one but I did get one named "cat scat" and I haven't had any coons back since I got it a couple of months ago.. also stopped the cats from using the back side of the pond area as a litter box. Don't know if the coons have come back since I put it up or not though.

• yankee_dog
    13 years ago

My mother uses a device called a "chirper" to keep raccoons out of her barn. Works very well, but is also very annoying to anyone else within earshot.

• PJ Whorton
    3 years ago

I've had a problem with raccoons getting in my garage. I've had to call for professional help, in July of this year another one got in my garage. So since I had some unused Bell and Howell sonic pest repellents, I thought I would try using one but I wanted other options also besides paying for a professional to come out. I found an article that suggested you can use organic apple cider vinegar or ammonia. Soak a small rag with either item, place in a paper bag punch holes and place near raccoons location. That I wasn't going to do. Yes I was too scared. So I soaked old sponges never used and too them in the garage. I plugged in one sonic repellent in less than 30 sec I heard the raccoons moving around. I placed my soaked sponges in areas around the garage and out of there very quickly. Went in the house and closed the garage door, waited around 15 minutes, raised the garage door and the raccoon came running out. So was it the ordor or the repellent. It worked no racoon even coming around my garage. Cost $0 had everything I needed in my home

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County