Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianne_texas

Solar pond pump question

dianne_texas
11 years ago

I have a solar powered pond oxygenator. I need to place the solar panel in a sunnier location and the cable is not long enough. Has anyone had any experience with splicing solar cable? I know that I can purchase longer air tubing, but that will put my pump out in the weather. I would rather have the pump protected to extend it's service. I have searched the web, but unable to find this kind of pump written about. I need to know if the solar power diminishes if you lengthen the cable. Any solar cable splicing experience out there? Thank you. Dianne

Comments (3)

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

I asked an electrician friend about your solar power question. He said that he wasn't familiar with that kind of pump but he didn't think it would dimish the power to lengthen the cable. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chip in.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

The longer the cable the more the power loss. But for the distances you're planning maybe it will be insignificant. The voltage you're operating at and the thickness of the cable will have an effect. It's a balancing act between all those variables.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

"I know that I can purchase longer air tubing, but that will put my pump out in the weather." Could you put the pump in a bucket with an inverted bucket on top? I did this during the winter to keep an air hole open with no problems and I'm in Michigan - cold and snowy.