Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrmars_gw

sick lethargic goldfish

mrmars
15 years ago

We have a 7 year old 175 gallon pond in Minnesota. Never have had a big problem with it. Lots of good plant growth, waterfall and spitter. Some of the fish are there since the first year, lots of spawning and babies show up every year.

We overwintered 15-16 fish successfully again. We gave away 5 younger ones last month and got two new ones from a reputable fish store.

On 7/9 fish stopped eating, and acting very lethargic. Foam at waterfall. On 7/11 I did some reading here, and did a 1/4 water change, with extra amquel.

On Saturday 7/12, I bought new test kits. Mine had gotten really old and I stopped using them since we had had no problems. I PH was 7 and ammonia 0. I did another 1/4 water change. later that day 2 of the oldest biggest fish were dead, and a few of this year's babies also were dead. Rest still acting lethargic and not acting hungry. I went back to store and got Tetrapond pond treatment at their recommendaton it might be parasites. Treated pond. Sunday was another 1/4 water change. No more deaths, but nothing seems to be improving either.

two side notes: We had not had much rain, but had heavy downpours 3x last week. We are also having really smelly water right now from the fine city of Minneapolis. The paper reports the water department is adding chemicals to try and improve taste and kill the algae causing the smell/taste. I had put about 20 gallons of tap water (with amquel) in to top off the pond on 7/6.

Questions: What else should I try or do?

How long will it take fish to perk back up if it was either water quality issue or parasites?

Other recommendations? tests? We are so sad to see the fish this way.

Comments (16)

• patrick__mi__z5
    15 years ago

I did quick look up on amquel. This product might be what is causing all of your problems. Here is a website to look at www.koksgoldfish.com/Amquel.html it explains the cause and effect of using this product.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

It's possible that the city is adding a copper products to kill the algae, and copper is toxic to koi and goldies. See if the city will give you a detailed water report. Also test your kH (total alkalinity) to make sure your pH is buffered. Fish deaths after rains usually point to pH swings. IS there anything in the bottom of the pond. Rocks? plant debris? What kind of filtration do you have and how recently was it cleaned?

Keep in mind that most fish have low levels of parasites all the time, but their healthy immune systems keep them in check. During times of stress (such as moving to a new home), the fish use their system resources to overcome the stress, and let the immune system slack off. this allows any low levels of parasites to quickly grow to the point of causing problems.

But lets concentrate on water first......

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Patrick, mrmars was not using the amequel for ammonia, but because she added city water. I don't agree with much of what that article said. I do agree that using amequel as a band-aid instead of finding the cause of ammonia spikes is not a good thing, but using amequel (or similar product)to handle ammonia spikes if they do happen and to neutralize the chlorine in city water is a must. Amequel is not the cause of the problems here.

• mrmars
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Talked to the city water lab. They are adding extra carbon and Permaganate. No copper.

Tested with the "quick dip" strips and KH is coming up between "moderate and ideal"

preformed pond, just normal amount of debris in bottom. I cleaned as I normally do over the weekend, no huge buildups.

350gph pump with pondmaster filter, been changing every 1-2 days. Again, just like normal.

using Amquel+ for years, as water treatment when adding water, not as pond additive. I did add extra on Friday when I thought it could be ammonia spiking.

also bought and added aquarium salt yesterday 1/2 recommended dose, since I have never used these before

One more fish dead this morning, first since saturday. Red around gills.

I stopped the water changes on Sunday after third time as the wife thought I would be losing all the good water and treatments. Should I start again?

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

OK, so your water is probably not the issue.....the new fish probably are.

The tetra product you used is a little "iffy". The active ingrediant is Quinine-hydrochloride, which is dangerous and not quite as effective against many parasite. Not knowing what the parasite is creates another problem. there is not one single parasite treatment that gets them all. Dimilin takes care of the larger parasites (fish lice and anchor worms but I don't think this is what you are dealing with). Prazi or fluke tabs takes care of skin and gill flukes, and A formalin/malachite green product such as ProformC will take care of the rest of them such as ich and costia.

So here's my suggestion. First...get an aerator in there to help them breath. Do some water changes to get the salt levels down to less than .1% since many parasite treatments are not compatible with salt, and treat them with Prazi or fluke tabs for flukes and proformC or a similar malachite green/formalin product for the rest of the parasites. They will need to be treated for a total of 10 days because the life cycle of ich must be considered and there is only a tiny window of time during their life cycle that they can be killed. Follow the dosing on the bottle and even if the bottle says one dose is all that's required, do multiple doses anyway. Retreating with ProformC every 3 days with a 25% water change before each new treatment will be fine.

• patrick__mi__z5
    15 years ago

Please take a look at the possibility of having nitrite/nitrate poisoning. The symptoms of your fish being lethargic and then dying suddenly is what happens with this.

When you have a small pond and a large number of fish it is harder to maintain good levels and you could be putting a large bio-load on your filter and plants. A large bio-load will also cause your water to foam at the waterfall. Go to Koivet.com and look at some of the articles they have on this killer. Look in search bar under nitrate/nitrite poisoning.

• mrmars
    Original Author
    15 years ago

things seem improved today after one treatment. Remaining fish are starting to eat a bit.

clarify for me if I should treat 3x in 3 days, or once every 3 days?

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Once every 3 days. Be sure to do the water change before adding the new dose.

• jpinard
    14 years ago

Patrick. There's a typo in your link. It is "kokos" not "koks". Took me a while to figure out :-)

But thanks for the excellent reference!

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Any chance runoff water could have gotten in the pond during the heavy downpours? I ask because this time of year folks are putting all sorts of chemicals on their lawns.

• groundbeef1
    14 years ago

I hope at this point the fish are better. Seeing as the OP posted in 2008, surely the issue has resolved itself?

• mrmars
    Original Author
    14 years ago

treatments worked, we lost about 1/2 of the fish over the course, including some of our originals. Sad. but all is well now months later. the fish that probably brought the parasites survived it all (of course).

thanks for all the help (belatedly).

• lpage_lantic_net
    13 years ago

Hi - we have just re-vamped our garden goldfish pond (fish were transfered into a temporary housing whist being done) now they are back in their existing pond - they were very happy to be in there BUT the next day they were not eating as normal(usually come running @ feed times) and are a little lethargic and huddling under the water lily pads.... next problem I dont think i washed the gravel stones that were placed on top of water lily basket (on top of correct soil) so water this morning is very murkey (light brown) what can i put into water to clear this???? I have put an dechlorinator into water and I run a pump (self-made bio-filter with Zeolite in the basket with the pump that feeds the waterfall.... Please, i would appreciate any advise you have for me - incidentally these fish we have had for many years (and babies are amongst this lot!!!!!!!!!!!!Regards
    Lisa

• ernie_m
    13 years ago

First off, please start a new thread for your new problem. You might get lost down here.

Anyway, fish in a new home need some time to get used to it. Hiding for a few days is normal. Soon they will come a running for food again!

Next, if you didn't wash the dirt out of the gravel yeah it can make the water dirty. Fish don't seem to mind this (yeah, but we do). It should clear itself either by getting trapped in the filter or just settling out. Most things you add to clear it are bad for the fish.

Finally, but most importantly, in revamping your pond you may well have killed off the bacteria living there that is processing the ammonia fish waste (very bad stuff) into nitrite (also bad stuff) into nitrate (not so bad in low levels) that plants use as food. This bacteria grows naturally but slowly. Keep an eye on your ammonia levels and be prepared to do water changes to keep it down until your bacterial is back.

• shakaho
    13 years ago

What did you do when you "revamped?" Have you tested your water? How big is this pond?

If my water were murky and my fish unhappy, I would start with a 50% water change.

• evesta
    13 years ago

What is your water temp? If you are in a colder climate I wouldn't be feeding yet and when there is a possible water quality issue also stop feeding. I agree a large water change and careful monitoring of water quality is probably what is needed. How many fish/size are in the 190 gallons?

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor