Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkbabe

Cracked polyresin fountain leak...(pics)

bkbabe
14 years ago

Hi All,

I hope I'm posting in the correct area. I have this fountain http://www.netshops.com/outdoor-living/patio-furniture/patio-accessories/harmonybamboogardenwaterfountain.cfm?source=channel_intelligence&TID=BC045&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=BC045#tabs . It is made out of polyresin and fiberglass. I made the big mistake of letting water freeze in it and it cracked. It seemed like a hairline crack, so I used Marine and Plumbing goop to fix it. Today was the first day I filled it up completely and the goop basically peeled right off, and the crack has gotten worse.

Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zOKyS5I0aYOX5Hrug4YRnw?authkey=Gv1sRgCJS9x9j7pJztbw&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6W3pQlZDBXYjFs-ooA3HAw?authkey=Gv1sRgCJS9x9j7pJztbw&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Yah7nqtuFc1ZdQk6QcOjhQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCJS9x9j7pJztbw&feat=directlink

Any suggestions on what product to buy to fix this? Would roof tar work? It's the base/bottom so I don't really care what it looks like. I would just like it not to leak and hopefully be a sturdy repair, as it's really heavy and sometimes I have to drag it a bit.

Thanks in advance

Comments (9)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

Sorry, those materials are almost always unfixable. If someone does come up with a fix let me know. I could not bring up your links. Sandy

• bkbabe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I uploaded them to a different server, so hopefully you can see them now...
    There has gotta be a glue/fix for every material out there. I refuse to give up on my fountain...

{{gwi:223466}}

{{gwi:223467}}

{{gwi:223468}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Retail pic and descrip of fountain

• bkbabe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone have any suggestions???

• runningonempty
    14 years ago

bkbabe, you could try Pond Sheild Epoxy. I have never used it but I did a quick search of the product and found many happy customers. The site below uses the product in fixing a leak in a concrete fountain. I would think you could contact them and see if this same technique is useful in your polyresin fountain. My guess is that it is or will be awful close.

Good luck!

Nance

Here is a link that might be useful: How to fix a leaky fountain

• pat_c
    14 years ago

What about the epoxy they use to repair fiberglass boats or the epoxy filler used in repairing car bodies? Those both have to be impervious to water and should hold.

• basilbird
    14 years ago

And more on the epoxy front...
    I have successfully used QuikSteel epoxy putty (found in the automotive section of Walmart and other places). It bonds to wet or dry surfaces and will even set up underwater. I used it to fix a sizable crack (1/2" wide and 3 feet long) underwater.

It's a little messy. You kneed the dark grey putty together until it's all the same color and a little warm. Then you cram it into the crack. As with all repairs, be sure the crack is as clear as possible. Wirebrush it to rough it up, even undercut the crack a little if you can. If you can get it to bond well, you should be all set. A section of my crack didn't bond well (algae in it, I think) and the putty just peeled off. But the part that did stick, that was the most important, stuck very well!

I've also used it to fix some rust spots around the windshield of my old convertible.

BasilB

• flamingl
    13 years ago

I tried the clay-like stuff that you knead together and it eventually just fell off. I then tried the fiber glass repair kit from the auto supply store--thought I had it fixed, but today I noticed that it is leaking again. Any suggestions?

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

I had thought of the auto repair supplies, but it looks like that didn't work for you.

The only other thing I can think of might be marine epoxy. We use that for a number of things and it works well. Don't know if it would be a solution for your problem and it may be what you are calling the clay-like stuff that you knead together. You do knead the marine epoxy.

Good luck.
    Anne

• sleeplessinftwayne
    13 years ago

The problem is that it is a hairline crack and most of the materials mentioned are good only for wider cracks. Also the fountain material is very tight molecularly. To get anything to stick to it you have to rough it up. Something you might try: liquid crack sealer for concrete, or a hydroscopic fiberglass or epoxy crack sealer for leaky basement walls.