Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Pond Consultant

Posted by freedomeagle 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 21:26

Hi All! We just bought a house that has a five acre private pond. Its been almost 30 years since I had anything to do with private lakes or ponds, but I can tell from looking at this one, both the fish habitat and aquatic vegetation is out of balance a good bit.

I need a good, honest, economical fish biologist, aquatic engineer or someone comparable that can help me get this pond right. If I don't start dealing with the vegetation issues soon, I am afraid I am going to have a 'dead' pond in a couple years.

I went to the DGIF site and they have a good bit of info on pond management including a list of consultants. The only problem is there are no reviews or anyway, short of calling them all, to get more definitive information.

Would appreciate input from anyone here who has had a similar experience/requirement in the mid-northern VA area.

Thanks all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Pond Consultant

check out the listings on the Bing link below

Here is a link that might be useful: virginia pond management

o

I would check with your local university extension/agriculture agent.

There are tons of people out there calling themselves pond experts who aren't....

o

I'd don't have any answers, but I do want to say that I'd love a 5 acre pond to play with!!!!

o

You don't need a pond expert you need some small grass carp. They will eat all of that overgrown vegetation within the first year. And save you the trouble of all that hard work. Ive seen many lakes and ponds cleaned up by grass carp. They will make it right. I'm no expert but I know this works. I have nine garden ponds and two lakes. And one garden pond in the greenhouse and I have been doing this for 15 years now.Let the fish do all the work for you. Very simple. But don't put waterlilies in that pond or lake they will eat them too. Good Luck and keep us posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here