Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adriennemb2

I got my fish tower done.

adriennemb2
11 years ago

Thanks to all who helped me earlier. I've experimented with different containers and stands that I have around the house and this combination pictured below is what I'll stick with for now. The big fish will only scoot in and out briefly but there are tons of baby fish that like to congregate in the globe. This has been great fun!

{{gwi:42105}} {{gwi:42106}} {{gwi:42107}}

Comments (21)

• diggery
    11 years ago

Glad you found something that works for you and are enjoying it! It was great fun for us too:)

blessings,
    ~digger

• aladatrot
    11 years ago

I even did a search and came up with your previous thread about the octagonal fish tower, but I'm not fully understanding the concept. Is there a pump keeping it full of water? I'm guessing this new one is an inverted fish bowl...

Cheers
    M

• adriennemb2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope, just simple physics, rather like a vacuum effect. Have you ever been washing the dishes and noticed that, as you're lifting out a glass from beneath the surface, the water stays inside? It's the same idea.

So all I have here is an inverted fish globe elevated on an open circular-hoop style plant stand that sits underneath the surface of the water. I filled the globe in the pond itself, then centered it upside down in the stand opening. You have to be careful to do this all underwater or you'll break the seal and everything will drain out. You'll want to do this anyway when it's time to clear out the algae build-up

The water - and fish - can now freely circulate above the pond. How cool is that?

• aladatrot
    11 years ago

Pretty dang cool!

Cheers
    M

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

OMG! That is the coolest thing I have ever seen! I'm so trying this!

• Craigger7
    11 years ago

Very cool...I seen them advertised but never in action

• Debbie Downer
    11 years ago

Wonder what the fish thinks? It's kinda like us going to the bottom of the sea in a submarine. Or out in space in a spaceship. Well, maybe "think" isn't the right word - maybe just some fishy sense of wonder and awe.

I do know they can see much better than I thought, so I'm sure they can appreciate the view from up there. (This particularly friendly one of mine can recognize me from a good 10-15 feet away. Stares right at me and starts doing the "feed me" routine!)

• Ghrey
    11 years ago

It is a very creative design. It looks very great and refreshing to the eyes. It inspires me to create one in my backyard.

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

You did a great job. Maybe I'll dig out my old fish tank and try again. Hmmmm I wonder if I can set it into a floating base rather than on a stand. That will be fun to play around with.

• diggery
    11 years ago

Great pic, Adriennemb! Glad you & fishies are having a blast with your new toy.

@ kashka kat: I'm thinkin 'think' was a good word choice :)

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Good job! I have a clear plexiglass globe that I am gonna try...cuz I like the round! I have used a one gallon glass jar before and what a Hoot! Now that I have my pond finally repaired and up and running....I will try and add this! I too, like what Kashka Kat posted! ;-)

• granyhuskr
    11 years ago

This is great. What a fun thing and so different. I hadn't seen anything like this before.

• gardeninhabitant
    11 years ago

Very unique and interesting! That way we can see fish from the side, which is usually impossible when it comes to fish of ponds. Inspired by your fish tower, I tried it.
    The fish came in the tower as soon as I set it up.

• adriennemb2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great job, gardeninhabitant. Mesmerizing to watch, eh? It also seems to help tame and train those little bitty fishy brains to come to your presence at the side of the pond. If they had furry tails, they would be wagging them in anticipation :) I find the baby fry practically live in the tower during the day (wow, they are growing fast!) but the big boys take over in the evening.

And what an interesting set-up you have! I especially like the wire dome.

• gardeninhabitant
    11 years ago

Thanks. Yeah, it's fun to watch.

I illuminated it with a flashlight.
    {{gwi:223819}}

{{gwi:223820}}

{{gwi:223823}}

• steiconi
    7 years ago

annedickinson did you ever get yours to float?

When I read your post, I ran right out with a big glass vase, knocked a hole in a piece of packing styrofoam, and wrangled the whole thing into the pond. Got it upright and it worked! For 10 seconds, until the styro split. Fortunately, I was still hanging on to the vase.

I think a hole in a piece of marine plywood might work. or pool noodles. possibly even styro that hasn't spent a year in the pond already.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

I don't thinks these float, do they? I haven't done one, but as I recall, they are sitting on a plant stand or something just under the water surface. I understand that it gets hot in the sun too, if that is a concern for you. I always thought that it would cover with algae pretty fast, so great for a party or photo op, but maybe a RPITA as a permanent structure. Of course, that is only my uneducated opinion and as one of the regular posters here states 'worth every penny you paid for it' :-)

• annedickinson
    7 years ago

adrienne.. great job. Love it.

Gardeninhabitant - never thought of lighting one up.

Steicon - I ended up getting rid of my pond. Arthritis made it impossible to care for the pond, garden or anything else. I'll set up a small water feature next summer.

PKPonder. They could float as long as the opening was below water. Maybe something like cutting a hole in a foam garden kneeling pad and suspend it that way. Might need two pads as water is heavy. If the water is changed regularly and the container is scrubbed, that might prevent algae growth. Just a few thougths.

• annedickinson
    7 years ago

I was telling my great uncle (a physicist) about the fish tower the first time I made one and we got talking about physics of water. He said there is a maximum height that water can go (maybe 25 feet or something like that) before the weight of the water in the tower is greater than the air pressure on the surface of the surrounding water and it collapses. I may be off on the # of feet, but the concept is correct.

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

I think at normal atmospheric pressure (sea level) it's about 33 feet. It's the basis for a simple barometer. Over that height a vacuum forms above the water in the container. Rather than water, barometers were made to use mercury because it was so much heavier and didn't need a tall column to give a good pressure reading. In any case, if you have a large enough pond, your globe can be very big. To clean the algae off the inside of the globe you could swim around inside and do the job manually. But of course you can't use scuba gear, the expelled air will displace the water inside, LOL.