Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dirty rain runoff control plants?

Posted by zeeicemachine none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 22:01

So I have a little 200gallon pond I just finished but do to elevated areas of vegetation around it, it is a few inches below the surrounding area.

Now we don't get much rain in so cal but I will still have an issue with dirty rain water entering the pond.

is there an effective plant to catch most of the silt before it enters the pond, some type of bush or ground cover?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dirty rain runoff control plants?

Grass maybe.

I think rock mulch is better and then plant anything to hide the rock if you like. If you can dig down the dirt and replace with rock. Plants can go up thru a thick layer of rock mulch.

o

Any kind of thick ground cover - not sure what grows well in your area - will do the trick. We have vinca along one edge of our pond that is low to keep the much out of the pond. As it fills in it does a great job.

o

Ground cover is great for stopping splash from rain, but for water running down over soil and into the pond I would think a more dense stem system would be more helpful. But the dirt in the pond could be from rain splash and not running water, unless you're seeing actual eroded soil.

o

Go to the dollar store and buy a cheap polyester blanket - brown or sand colored is good. Cut it in strips as wide as needed. Cover your banks with it and tuck the bottom edge under/behind the pond liner. Cover it with rocks, gravel, and cut a few small planting holes as needed. Creeping Jenny and some grasses will grow right over and thru it. Sherry

o

ah good to know, ty

o

Zee,
Liriope, daylillies, variegated ornamental grass, a dwarf variety, and japanese iris (it gets tall), but the japanese iris is awesome with guarding a pond edge from anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here