Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponderpaul

Site administrators/site pop-ups??

ponderpaul
13 years ago

Am I the only one that gets a blank pop up with a URL starting -- Vhttp://iv.doubleclick.net/imp;v7;j;220379871;0-0;69;18012138;0/0;34674447/34692325/1;;~aopt=6/1/ff/1;~okv=;!category=househom;!

Something of this nature comes up ever time I click on a new topic or message. It is always blank with no tool bar,etc. After roaming around the site for a while, I have 10 or 15 of these which I have to close individually or close everthing including the 2, may be 3 sites I am interested in.

Comments (10)

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

I'm not having that happen but I have pop-ups blocked and that helps stop 95% of that kind of problem.

It sounds like you are saying it is not just GenWeb sites but others too. If so maybe it is some kind of a spyware or tracker thingie (I don't know the correct terminology) that you've picked up. Maybe doing some computer maintenance (clearing out cache and history, etc) might help.

Hopefully someone who is more computer savvy than I can answer because I may be way off track. Good Luck. That kind of problem is so annoying.
    Anne

• ponderpaul
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, this is a gardenweb only thing for me.

• lurkandkibitz
    13 years ago

Best chance to find assistance would be at GW's Computer Help Forum.

• woeisme
    13 years ago

When your on the internet click your "tools" drop down menu. It's usually in the upper right corner. Click "Pop Up Blocker" or put your cursor on it to display the next menu of options. Click "Pop Up Blocker Settings". A window should pop up with a list of websites allowed to use pop ups that you've authorized. If Garden Web is listed there delete it by clicking on it to highlight it. Then click "remove" and it should stop. If not, then as suggested you have some type of spyware tracker thingy that you should remove. Garden Web is horrible with pop ups, it's a shame.

• ponderpaul
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woeisme: BINGO!

• diggery
    13 years ago

Glad that helped you, ponderpaul.

However, I long ago came to the conclusion that GW is immune to popup blockers in some way and that battling popups here is an exercise in futility. My AV program occasionally shuts GW down to *protect my computer from harm*. Alarming.

Of the sites I regularly visit, I ONLY encounter this problem on GW and it matters not which computer I'm using. When my dd bought a new computer a while back, I logged on to GW just out of curiousity. Yup! The blasted popups were still there despite the popup blocker.

It's a rare day when I manage to leave here of my own accord or at the very least, without my blood pressure reaching boiling point. Honestly, I wouldn't visit here at all were it not for the experienced wisdom of the core members here and their kindness and willingnes to share. And considering my level of frustration after just 15 brief minutes scrolling through posts, that is high praise indeed!

• lsst
    13 years ago

I have Mozilla Firefox as my browser and do not have any of these problems.

• woeisme
    13 years ago

Yeah, mozilla is not used as much. I think they target IE because of it's wider usage.

Diggery -
    One more thing to try is-

* Click on "tools" in the upper right corner.
    * Click on the "Pop Up Blocker".
    * Click on "Pop Up Blocker Settings"
    * When the window opens, look all the way at the bottom and there will be a drop down menu for the "Blocking Level".
    * I think default is "medium". Change it to "High" and see if that helps. Of course if it is on "low", then use "medium" and that should help.
    If that doesn't work you need to remove the spyware application on your computer. There is software that can do it for you, or do a search on how to do it yourself from a university or computer geek forum.

I understand your frustration with the pop up's. I can't stand them. With me, I get a negative relation with the product. So if I see it on the store shelf, I think " those are the _______'s that are so annoying to me when I'm trying to do something on the internet. Why would I use there _________?" (Fill in the blanks with your favorite choice of words)

• diggery
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reminder/tip woeisme. Had forgotten but I had changed the level from high to med a while back because of an issue on my own site (a minor bug which was quickly resolved). Anyhoo, set it back to high so we shall see..

Lol at the negative product relating - I've actually taken the time to e-mail certain companies advising there are no circumstances under which I would purchase their product so long as they continue to make my internet experience miserable! Actually takes quite a lot to get under my skin but there comes a point when one must take a stand *chuckle*

bless ya,
    ~digger

• ponderpaul
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had to set the pop-up blocker on high to get rid of them - even after I removed gardenweb from my allowed list.