Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ernie_m_gw

Who has pond Frogs?

ernie_m
13 years ago

I have a pond frog!

{{gwi:224011}}

'Froggie" is here for his second year, came as one big tadpole. Never saw his brother much. Froggie wintered over in the bottom of my little pond.

Froggie likes to be near the water as he uses it to it's full "escape & evade" capability. Some days he likes to float all day but mostly he sits (without any motion I've ever seen) and waits for dinner to be delivered.

Comments (4)

• cnetter
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Last year leopard frogs moved in. THey've come and gone before, but last year quite a few moved in and 7 of them overwintered in the pond.
    This year they mated and I have large tadpoles in a terrace pond that doesn't have fish in it.
    Here is a picture of one of the frogs and below is a link to a video of the male frog croaking with the female near him.
    {{gwi:224012}}

Here is a link that might be useful: leopard frog croaking

• leubafr
    13 years ago

I have hundreds of green tree frogs that come to the pond and sing every night. A couple of just toads too. Can you believe my neighbors complain of the noise that the green tree frogs make?

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

I have a bullfrog that I moved with me. She is happy to stay in the lily pond. No critters, wild or domestic can get her there. There is another that I've not been able to get close enough to identify yet. There are also toads and a few different tree frogs that sit around and sing at night.

• friendlyfrog
    13 years ago

I have a 20 x 40 concrete pool, 11 feet deep x 3 feet deep. We quit using it after enjoying it for over 30 years and we let it become as "wild" place for creatures of all kinds. I bought feeder goldfish one year and they wintered over and i still have two very LARGE beautiful ones that enjoy the use of our pool. I have not taken the falling leaves off the bottom and i guess this is where they "live" in the winter, under the ice. Frogs and toads appear from where ever and I enjoy their company. When they are sunning themselves on some of the floating pads we used when we used the pool, I find earth worms and toss them on the floater and they hop to gobble them up as fast as i bring them. Last year i had 7 large bullfrogs and some leopards and two beautiful brown quite large toads. It is amazing to watch them catch their own dinner as it flys by their never blinking eyes. It is unbelievable but for three years in a row there was what i think is the same frog that wintered over in my pond and would make the galunk noise when ever i appeared by the poolside. If i made the same noise back he would answer me. If i stood by the pool and could not see where he was i would make that noise and he would answer as tho to tell me where he was. I could sit at the edge of the pool, make the noise and he would swim over to where i was sitting and would even hop up and sit a few feet from me. If i moved slowly, i could edge over to him and lay my hand palm side up and he would hop onto my hand. It would even let me stroke it under the chin without hopping away. My husband took pictures of me with the frog on my hand. This all sounds so unbelievable and sounds unreal as i am reading what i am writing but it is true and it is so amazing. I will look up in my documents and hope i can find the pictures to post here. Has anyone else ever had an experience like this? I have not been able to do this with any of the other frogs that have lived in my pool. Thas happened three years in a row, so i am assuming it is the same frog. This year I have not as yet seen my friendly frog and as of right now i have seen only one very tiny little green frog. I hope my friend will yet come back this year. I've tried calling, he doesn't answer. I hope he is still living somewhere and hope oneday he comes back to my pool! The spring of the year wild ducks use our pool and i put cracked corn out for them. If i forget to fill the dish,we hear a pecking at our patio door to let us know their dish is empty. One year we had put a large innertube with a plastic liner and filled it with straw and the ducks raised a family of 12 fluffy little yellow babies that swam around every day with their parents, and and uncle lol always two drakes. Then it was time to leave and the mother coaxed them up the cement stairway to the deck and they all went their way out into the world. I hate to get rid of my "wild" pool, it still has a link fence all around it as required by code of our city and it is a bit of an eyesore since the tile is falling off the sides and the concrete is breaking up here and there but where will all my "friends" go if if fill it in and make a lawn out of it?