Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
defence21

Pond/waterfall pump size

defence21
10 years ago

I have a 400-500 gallon pond I inherited with my house. I don't know the exact size, but used an online calculator to estimate the gallons as best possible, so it's definitely far from exact.

Anyway, my pond is about 18 inches deep and sits at the bottom of a sloped area in my yard. I plan to run a tube about 10-12 feet from the pond roughly 18" to 2' above water level to create a small stream that runs to a rock edge waterfall.

I'm on a budget and bought a small Pacific Hydrostar 620 GPH pump from Harbor Freight before I realize I was going to do a waterfall. The pump says it turns water at 620 GPH with a maximum head lift of 11.5 feet. I get the feeling I need something twice as strong as this to do what I want, but I hope I'm wrong?

If I am, could anyone provide some cheap alternatives? I was hoping to do this project for free, but the pump that came with the pond is shot and this is an expense I haven't budgeted for. If need be, I can upgrade quality in a few years, but need to stay very affordable (read: cheap) now.

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Comments (3)

• joe_09
    10 years ago

try the pump you have.i would use at least a 3/4 or 1 in. diameter hose from the pump to the waterfall if you use too small hose, you will loose too much water pressure.

• chas045
    10 years ago

I am by nature cheap too. I am also the guy who claims that my stream solves all problems. Your pump is a little small but still useable. In the future, it would be wise to find a magnetic drive pump. They are less expensive to run and the extra expense will be saved over a year's time. However, it is too late for that now. Your stream will work with almost any flow rate as long as it falls gently and little puddles or ponds are formed. The critical issue is to have plants in the stream for filtering.

If you can find/scrounge a second in pond pump, you can just increase the flow by connecting it in line with a tee or y fitting.

• gardener1
    10 years ago

Buy the dirty water submersible pump by chicago sold at Harbor freight, they usually have them on sale for $30 it's 1 1/2 horsepower and pumps about 1650 gallons an hour. It has a strong flow and will do better for you if you're pumping uphill. Plus they guarantee them for 1-2 years if you buy the warranty. They usually last about 1 1/2 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabelmans Gardens blog

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022