Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponderpaul

ponds & bermuda grass

ponderpaul
13 years ago

How do you control bermuda around your ponds & streams? Here in southern Ok it seems to grow through or over all barriers - it hasn't grown through my pond liner but it does grow right out over it and into the water unless I keep it pulled by hand. I have several fine Koi in my pond so poisons are out of the question.

Suggestions PLEASE

paul

Comments (3)

• nkm56
    13 years ago

I'm in NE Oklahoma, and you're right -- bermuda can be a nuisance. I don't know of any way to control it so near a pond other than pulling. And I pull pretty frequently, since this stuff grows like weeds.

I do put garden fabric and weed barriers down under the mulch, and that seems to help on everything except the bermuda, which just grows sideways until it gets out from under the barrier, and then keeps going. Annoying stuff!

I'd be interested in hearing some solutions too!

• hardin
    13 years ago

It is really hard stuff to kill. Right now I have leftover pond liner spread out over on top of it, which in the HOT weather we are having, is killing it, plus pulling it out by hand. The problem, as we know, with bermuda, if a small rooted piece is left, we have more of it. Here is a way that might work. I shall try it and with the weather so hot, it is a good time.

1) Mow Bermuda grass down to 1 inch with a manual or electric lawn mower. Collect clippings and dispose.

2) Dig patches of Bermuda grass manually for immediate removal. Adopt this method for areas with small infestations. Wet the area beforehand and dig out the grass, along with the roots. Use a shovel to dig deep in the soil to ensure you pull out all the roots.

3) Smother the grass with newspapers. Spread layers of 10 sheets of non-glossy newspapers. Wet the area lightly to ensure the newspapers lie flat and close to the ground. Overlap adjacent sheets to cover the entire area. Sprinkle water over the sheets again to prevent them from blowing away.

4) Spread a plastic sheet over the grass to kill it naturally. Weigh the edges of the sheet down with bricks, or spread an even layer of mulch over it. The sheet prevents water, air and sunlight from reaching the Bermuda grass, killing it in up to six weeks or more.

Seems to be a time consuming job, but then again, so is pulling it up by hand. All I have to do is start collecting newspapers.

Vickie

• ponderpaul
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the replies. I plan to redo the whole pond perimeter when the weather cools off. I have come up with the idea of running my liner up and over a treated 2x4, then down under and part way back up vinyl lawn edging. Hopefully, the edging will form a barrier that I can cut against and the convolutions of the liner will keep the grass from going anywhere I don't want it. Got the idea of using treated lumber from http://www.skippysstuff.com.

Vickie; Used carpet works well to smother grass and weeds - I use a lot of it here and there, pick it out of the carpet store dumpster free of charge.