Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammymn_gw

Do you deadhead Lotus blooms?

tammymn
13 years ago

We just had a large pond built and I have a beautiful lotus that is blooming. I cannot find an answer to if I need to deadhead the blooms to keep more coming? Any help please.....thanks

Comments (12)

• flowergirl1211
    13 years ago

Hi, The bloom should last about 3 days. After that the blooms dies, revealing seeds. Would be great to exchange on the seed forum.
    Hey, let me know when you find some seeds.
    Linda

• nkm56
    13 years ago

Lotus only puts up one flush of blooms in a season. After the blooms fade, that's it for the season. They begin to die back. Just let them die back naturally, don't cut them, because the stems are hollow, and if water gets inside them they will rot.

• vickie_2006
    13 years ago

{{gwi:224284}}

• ponderpaul
    13 years ago

This picture?? is posted just to see if I have it figured it out. In the meantime my lotus is running wild. Like so many project, I jumped into Lotus, watched a while and decided I needed to do some research. This and another site has been a great help --THANX!
    [IMG]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx82/ponderpaul/10inthemorning.jpg[/IMG]
    If there isn't an accompaning pic, please some tell me the secreat. The url is from photobucket

• vickie_2006
    13 years ago

Copy the html code under your pic in photobucket paste it in the message box. Hope that works for you

• ponderpaul
    13 years ago

Vickie; Do we see it now
    {{gwi:224285}}
    BINGO! This blossom turned pure white as it matured. Has a small seed pod developing now.

• hardin
    13 years ago

Here's mine: I was very lucky to receive some tubers from a fellow ponder this spring. This was the first time I'd ever had one, and so far, so good. They are now about 4 1/2 feet tall, and had my first bloom this weekend. The leaves are about 18-24" in diameter. I planted mine into 1/2 of a 50 gallon barrel which is buried in the ground next to my deck. In it, I added clay soil, composted cow manure, and Osmocote fertilizer. The tubers were placed right on top, and held down with river rocks. I filled with barrel to the top with water, which is about 4-6 inches over the tubers. This is the result:

{{gwi:224287}}

{{gwi:224288}}

{{gwi:181435}}

{{gwi:181435}}

• tammymn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice on the lotus. I am up to 7 blooms so far and its a first year lotus!!!

• troy_l
    13 years ago

I purchased a lotus this spring and have pads on the water and have several arials as well. Yet I have not seen a sign of blooms at all. How often should I fertilze a lotus. I do know it is a hardy lotus.. just not what species or color it is. Any suggestions? I have it in the pond. is it better in or out of the pond?

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Dang. I have had mine for three years and just got my first bloom- one bloom. Dang.
    Renee

• duddlydoright
    13 years ago

Can I divide my lotus right now? with its leaves and all?

• vieja_gw
    13 years ago

A very dumb ? x a novice ponder I suppose, but:

what is the difference between a pond lily (I have them) & a lotus? Back in Iowa there was some kind of floating flowering plant that looked like a lotus (the leaf) & it was a pest clogging up the river as I remember!

BTW: that pic of lotus bloom is just beautiful! Does it live over winter if sunk to the bottom in freezing climates?