Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duddlydoright

Wintering a Victoria Lilly

duddlydoright
13 years ago

Hi guys,

I am completely infatuated with the Victoria Lilly that has pads up to 3 feet in diameter. The problem is that they are insanely expensive and are tropical. I was wondering if anyone had seeds they could possibly share with me and if its possibly to winter these over without keeping the water temperature at 80 degrees.

thanks

Comments (26)

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    There are several websites dedicated to Vics. "Victoria adventure" will tell you everything you'd need to know as well as a source for seeds.
    3 feet?? try over six for a semi happy plant lol. Obviously you need a large pond .
    They are an annual plant therefore must be started from seed though a plant can last for 18 months . So overwintering is irrelevant. but they need at least 10 months to mature .
    Check out the site and decide if you want to work that hard lol.??? gary

• sandy0225
    13 years ago

We did winter one or two over at Garfield park conservatory with water temps of 70 degrees. But they will get large unless you keep them dwarfed by withholding fertilizer. But it's not quite as fun having a dwarf giant plant you know. Mine currently has the largest pad just a touch under four feet, it's just a baby. My best size so far has been just a little over 6 feet.
    Sincerely,
    Sandy @ Northern Tropics Greenhouse

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@gary, I wasnt able to find the site you mentioned. As for the effort, I dunno, I like the plant so much I would be willing to give it a shot. I just need to find the seeds at a reasonable price.

@Sandy, how many seeds does 1 adult plant produce? would you be able to help me out with some perhaps?

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

Okay, so you want to grow a Vic? I have first hand knowledge. I grew a Victoria cruziana last year in zone 9a in central Florida. I grew it in a 5-gallon pot, fertilized it once a week with Jobe's Organic Plant Spikes, and it's biggest pad was 28" in diameter. I grew it in a 5'x5' hot tub shell and had three beautiful blooms. The first night that the bloom opens, there is a strong sweet pineapple smell around the yard, you can't miss it. It is to late to try to start seed now but unless you live in south Florida, you will want to grow either V. cruziana or V. "Longwood". They are the more cooler tolerant of the Vics. Longwood is a hybrid cross of V. cruziana and V. amazonica. You will want to get your seeds as close to Spring as possible. You will also want to start them in an heated aquarium at 80°F. If you move it much, get some thick leather gloves so you won't get stuck to bad with the thorns. All the info you need is in the following link. You can also get seed there in November, when they are ready.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorias

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the info pondmaninal, any ideas where i can get those seeds?

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    Just googled "Victoria adventure". Entire site seems to be still there . Incredible amount of info on all things aquatic . gary

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ironically my name is gary as well lol, thanks

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

Follow the link and you will see a link to a seed order page. All you pay is the postage. Until then, read through the site, it's a very good Victoria site. It's the only one I trust.

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow thats amazing thanks

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    13 years ago

o i had another question, can fish exist in the same environment as these lillies or will they be harmed by the thorns?

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

Not sure about goldfish or koi but I do know that mosquito fish are good with them.

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    13 years ago

do you have any pics of the one you raised?

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

Okay, here you go. Here's the flower.

{{gwi:224299}}

It look rough because of Sandwichmen, the larvae of the China Marks moth.

{{gwi:224300}}

And the plant itself.

{{gwi:224301}}

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thats so sweet dude, you must have been stoked.

• aquaterium
    13 years ago

We are growing our first Victoria this year here in northern NJ, and every day is an adventure since they grow so fast. We have about 25 koi and they don't bother the Vicotria at all. We are on our 5th pad and it is 30 inches, with a new pad opening up right now and another on the way. Our goal was to achieve a 36-inch pad in our 4,000 gallon pond and I think we will easily reach that goal within the next pad or two. Without a doubt the most fun plant in the pond, and everyone who sees them is absolutely amazed.

We cannot overwinter, so our Victoria will always just be treated like an annual and we will re-buy every year. Absolutely worth it though. It's an "impact" plant and it simply owns the pond.

We fertilize it every 2 weeks and it gets full sun. It seems to like water that is constantly near or above 80 degrees.

The thorns are SHARP. You mess with a Victoria, you will lose. I got stuck by a stem the other day and it hurt like a bee sting and it wouldn't go away for almost an hour. I will now show the proper respect.

No flowers yet, and I hope I get a few, but they are really not necessary to enjoy the plant. The pads are what you want this plant for and they do not disappoint if the plant is healthy.

Highly recommended.

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    13 years ago

do u heat your pond ?

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

Aquaterrium, which variety do you have?

• aquaterium
    13 years ago

I'm not sure, but I believe it is a victoria cruziana because the sides of the platters are green. Here is a pic:

{{gwi:224302}}

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thats cool, can we get more pond pics?

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

Aquaterium, is that a bud I see in the center or another new pad? It looks good but watch out for pests munching on the pads. All you can do is spray them off with water because Victorias don't like stuff on their pads. Just keep this post handy for when it blooms. If it looks like my bloom, then it will be Cruziana. When it puts up a bud, watch it closely and try to go out to see it as soon as it opens. You will never forget the experience.

• vickie_2006
    13 years ago

Thanks so much. It is doing great
    {{gwi:224303}}

• Sara_in_philly
    13 years ago

This is facinating! I read through the whole victoria site.

aquaterium, N Jersey is cooler than where i am (philly suburb). When do you put your victoria into the pond? Is your pond heated?

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    13 years ago

that looks so cool

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

Well, heeelllllooooo, Vickie! Another experienced Victoria grower.

• vickie_2006
    13 years ago

Hi pondmaninal. Glad to see you here

• duddlydoright
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would anyone be willing to sell or trade me some seeds or a very small sapling of this?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus