Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gilley111

Plants that can be placed around rocks

Barbara Meli
9 years ago

Hi all!

I am looking for plants that can be wedged between rocks around my pond. VirginiaWhine asks about stonecrop what others can be utilized?

Comments (25)

• lmjk1221
    9 years ago

Are you looking for plants that will grow on the water side of the rocks or the land side?

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

We grow taro, umbrella palm, yellow flag iris, purple iris, in between the rocks
    on our rock shelves...
    The yellow flag and purple iris are winter hardy here on LI.

The taro and umbrella palm we take in for the winter and store in the basement.

There a variety of other plants that can grow with wet feet as well, such
    as impatience (sp?) and forget me nots...I remember doing mint as well.
    joann

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

We're in Suffolk county, town of Smithtown.

I thought you meant that the plants would be in the water?
    Do you mean in the water or out of the water?
    joann

• Barbara Meli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cliff and Joan,

I am asking about both. Plants in rocks some are above water some are in water.
    Thanks for your interest.

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

Ok then, what I've given you can grow in the water, both in pots and
    bare root in between the rocks. Above the water, anything goes. I love
    vinca vine planted pondside. It cascades over the rocks and it's a perennial.
    It comes back in early Spring on the Island, as well as Purple Palace.
    They're both invasive (I love invasive plants) and spread and be divided
    easily.
    Another thing we do is plant in big pots that are buried at pond level.
    We have Lotus and cat tails planted in buried pots pondside....they look like they're in the pond but they're not.

Is your pond new?

• lmjk1221
    9 years ago

Stonecrops are all nice, as are creeping Jenny and Charlie. They are favorites because they are reliable growers and come back every year. I love coneflowers and Black-eyed Susans outside the pond. Hostas are nice, too - they will grow at the pond edge as well as in water. Shallow streams and waterfalls are good spots for hostas, especially if it's shady. Impatiens - I love those in the pond. I plant them in my waterfall every year and in my floating planters. Most ground cover type plants do well at the edge of the pond - C&J mentioned vinca vine, which I also have - and they help to soften the edges between the rocks and the area surrounding the pond, making it look more natural. Rushes or reeds, cattails, lilies or irises... the choices are endless!

Check out some of C&Js videos for ideas - they have a beautifully planted pond and gardens!

• Barbara Meli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, my pond will be a year old Sept 1. How did you guess ;0)

• chas045
    9 years ago

I am in zone 7b but a good deal south of you. My favorite pond plant held between rocks is 'sweet flag'. It can be difficult to remove if left too long but it multiplies very well for good or ill. It is about a foot tall sword like light green leaves in large clumps.
    I also use impatiens, hosta and taro in pots in water . The impatiens and hosta can also root between rocks.

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

Just a wild guess; usually when people come here to ask questions
    about pond plants, or fish or water problems etc...they're most certainly
    new ponders... Because after the first year, we all become experts on pond keeping :) ...and freely dole out advise, some good, some bad.
    I am guilty as well, as I only really know my pond operations and often it
    doesn't apply to other ponds.
    Advising people on pond keeping is not an easy task,
    as each backyard pond conditions are unique. What works for one, doesn't mean it's
    a fix for everyone. But, as long as you keep a sense of humor, read everything
    and only take the advise that you think applies to your particular situation, it'll work out.

Just think, same time next year, you'll be an expert too... :)

All joking aside, tell us about your new pond.

• VirginiaWhine
    9 years ago

My stone crop isndoimg well, a week into the planting as is my creeping jenny. I also used old faithful sweet potato vine.

• Barbara Meli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. Over the weekend I will put a picture or two up of my pond. Open for any and all suggestions!

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

Yes, good idea...pic's always help.

• Barbara Meli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of my pond. I am open to any and all suggestions. I have about 12 trapdoor snails and umpteen baby goldfish. There are about 10 feeder goldfish hence the umpteen babies.
    Thanks in advance. I am going to hospital tomorrow so I I don't respond please excuse me.

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

Lovely pond. My only suggestion is to plant some low growing shrubs
    around the outside of the pond next to the rocks. Look for rock garden
    type shrubs that spread and stay low.
    Also plant vinca vine, it spreads
    and multiplies quickly and cascades over the rocks. Another good plant is purple palace, it's partially
    evergreen and easily divided. I also love hostas and fern around a pond.
    In between the rocks around the perimeter can also
    benefit from some annuals, such as begonias, impatience, geraniums,
    and wave petunia to name a few.

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

edited to remove double post.

This post was edited by cliff_and_joann on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 7:24

• lmjk1221
    9 years ago

Your pond is beautiful! All great suggestions from C&J. I would also consider planting around the edges of your waterfall. A few cascading and/or flowering plants can help soften the look of the rocks and naturalize the look of your waterfall. An easy (and cheap) choice is watercress. Just buy a bunch from your local produce department (with or without roots - doesn't matter) and tuck it in around your rocks. You'll have beautiful green (and edible!) watercress flowing down your waterfall in no time! And we were amazed to find that the watercress came back this year. After a winter with temps well below zero (in fact well below 20 below zero!) we did not expect that!

Impatiens are also beautiful planted in a waterfall - just knock the dirt off and put them between the rocks where they will have contact with the water and watch them grow.

Hope your hospital stay is short and uneventful!

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

I second the wish that your hospital stay is a brief one.

our pond has a rocked shelf as well as rocks around the edges.
    We filled in all around the pond perimeter with perennials and in between
    some annuals. Then more rocks around the edges of the plant beds.
    I'll enclose two recent pix for you.
    As I stated before, another thing I love around a pond
    is English ivy. It's very invasive; does not share space well with other plants and flowers, so you have to
    keep it under control. (it's growing up the stand that holds the sun dial)
    The vinca vine is invasive as well, but shares space
    well with other plants and flowers. We also have forget-me-nots that spread like crazy.
    I agree with Lisa to adorn the waterfall with more plants, flowers and rocks.
    Our main water wall we don't use often, I prefer several small water falls
    around the pond instead of a big roaring waterfall. However, we do use the main waterfall on occasion.
    We have five waterfalls
    around our pond, in addition to the big main waterfall. We just build up a few rocks on the edge and use a small pump that we buy at
    harbor freight for 12 to 15 dollars; run a line and we
    have an instant mini waterfall and the fish love it. These pumps are rated
    at 260 GPH ... We have about 5 or 6 of these pumps,

Here is a pic of the plantings around our pond. We plant close and tight,
    as it eliminates the need to weed -- as there is not enough room for weeds to grow. :)

This pic is from a couple of weeks ago. Notice the lotus coming up
    next to the dock. That lotus is in a five gallon bucket buried in the ground
    outside the pond. It is surrounded by ivy and ground covers. It a good solution for large type plants that you do not necessarily want in your pond.
    We have planted Taro and umbrella palm planted the same way.
    In back of the lotus is lovely Japanese iris ( that's a land plant) After the beautiful bloom, you're left with beautiful lush green foliage for the rest
    of the season. In back of the Japanese iris plants is tall cat tails -- again
    this is planted in a five gallon bucket buried in the ground.
    Our main objective was to make a pond that looks natural and not have
    the typical 'rock necklace' look that many backyard ponds have.
    One way to achieve this is to do heavy planting all around. (in my opinion,
    others may feel otherwise)

Tap or click on the photo to make it larger.

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

This is from mid May this year. There is vinca vine, purple palace
    and live forever plants. These are all perennial and divide easily.

• chas045
    9 years ago

Just wanted to second lisak1's post about watercress. She didn't specifically mention that watercress roots appreciate flowing water, hence its placement in the mini stream. Potato Vine will also work the same way, or it can be in still water edge on on land too.

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

I also love red Japanese maples pondside,. In the front of the pond
    concentrate on low growing plants and flowers, in the back you can
    put the taller plants and mini-trees. We also have a Harry Lauder
    walking stick tree on the back side of the pond, it is unique and beautiful.

Another great shrub(for the back of the pond) is a current bush...it greens
    up early in the spring and attracts many birds for the berries.

I forgot to mention Live-forevers they divide easily, pop up early,and are
    a lush plant. We have lots of them.

The object is to plant all these perennials, so that in early Spring your pond
    looks good ... green and lush and this takes place in only a few days...from
    blah winter brown, to lush green in a matter of days. ,

• Barbara Meli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your well wishes for my hospital stay!
    I love the suggestions. My problem is the waterfall. I do want to soften it by using plants along the length of it but the rocks are cemented in place. I am going to place plants on the waterfall steps but would love to place plants on the sides also.

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

Build up each side of the waterfall with lots of topsoil packed tight. Slope it down so that it creates a hill on each side. Work in more rocks and then plant it with shrubs and perennials. On the waterfall, plant what you want in
    black pots and surround the pots with rocks.

As I mentioned before vinca vine is great on the waterfall, it cascades
    down and looks lovely.

• DramaQueen1
    9 years ago

whaisname your pond is absolutely gorgeous!! I would like permission to post that photo on my Pinterest board BACKYARD PONDS, WATERFALLS⦠etc. THANK YOU

• Barbara Meli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DramaQueen,

I am honored to be asked and would love to see my pond on your site.