Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Help: waterloss from DIY bio filter

michigoose
11 years ago

6 years ago, I build a stock tank DIY bio filter using the stainless steel weir purchased from the pond guy. I put a pond liner skirt behind the weir which came down over the pond liner "apron" which came up from the pond but wasn't high enough to reach the whole top. I put stone up the face, and put a longer stone underneath the weir opening as I wanted it to make more of a water sound.

Two years ago, I changed the stone layout and have had leaks ever since...and I can't locate WHERE the problem is, only that I lose water. If I bypass the biofilter, no water loss.

I sealed the edge of the weir/stone with silicone. I tried to make a raised edge which directed the water to flow out the longest and surest part of the falls....nothing seems to work, and I am loathe to take the rocks all down (again) and start over.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

I'm tempted to buy a real filter/falls from Danner or Savio or something, but I'm not sure if the weir depth from the body to the edge would be anymore than the 3" that the stainless steel thing is... Thanks in advance...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz