Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondluvr

In-Pond Skippy Filters

pondluvr
13 years ago

Hi all.

I have a very unique situation here. I am considering turning my above ground swimming pool into a pond. It is 4' deep at the shallow end, and 6.5' deep at the deep end. I live in Michigan, so we freeze in the winter. There are 13,000 gallons of water in the pool. It is 26'x16', oval shaped.

That was just a little background. My real question is to the folks here who use and like their Skippy filters. I actually am fortunate enough to live within an hour's drive of the Skippy people, so I went there yesterday for a visit and to talk to them about what they thought. I got lots of good info, but I want to run something by you all here.

Since my pond will have such a huge volume of water (13,000 gallons), I will need a HUGE Skippy filter. Actually they recommended 2 of the 150 gallon ones. And since my pond is above ground, there is no way to raise those huge filters above the level of the pond so the water can flow back in unless we build some sort of platform, but in my situation, that would look ridiculous. The Skippy folks recommended actually bulding the filters IN the pool, raising them up off the floor so the water could then just spill back into the pool that way. I could raise them up off the bottom of the pool floor using milk crates or something similar. I could plant pretty flowers in the top of the Skippy filters to make it look nice. By the way, would I need two pumps to run two filters, or could I somehow use one pump to run both filters? I'd like to save $$$ if feasible.

What do you all think of this idea? It would be the same effect, just that it would be inside the pond instead of outside. It really is the only way we could go about it.

Another question is that I know there are people who love the Skippy filters, but I did read some people who think they're a bunch of crap because of a quote on the website about not having to clean them, and the debris eventually turning to "sand". I can understand how that doesn't make sense, but I don't think they were trying to mislead anybody. I actually saw their setup and they have not cleaned it for 10 years (they said), and the water is very clear.

Have all of you who use a Skippy found the "never needs to be cleaned" principal to be true? I understand why you would not want to clean it, or you would be starting all over again with the bacteria. I am already concerned enough about having to unplug the filter over the winter, and having to start back up in the spring. That is what they do, though, and they seem to have no problem. They add some enzymes at startup to give the bacteria a jumpstart, and everything goes well.

Would love to get any of your thoughts. I am getting really excited!

Sandy

Comments (5)

• lsst
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You will have to weigh the skippy down to keep it from floating.
    What ever you weigh it down with will take up filter space.

I have a 15,000 gallon pond. It is on a slope so we have a 40 inch retaining wall across the back.

We built a concrete platform while building the retaining wall for our bio falls and veggie filter.

My veggie filter is a 300 gallon stock tank.

For a pond your size, 2 -150 skippys will not add much in the way of filtration. I would go much larger.

Below is a pic with the veggie filter on the left.
    {{gwi:215486}}

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

There is no reason you could not put your skippy filters in the pond instead of outside the pond. But......you DO need to clean them. I really don't care what nonsense the people at skippy try to feed people. Clear water is not necessarly good water. If you have never seen the inside of a skippy filter after just one year of service, you will not fully understand just how nasty and disgusting they are with all of that decaying fish poop in them. I do not know why they tell people that fish poop turns into sand. It is just riduclous to tell people that and also very irresponsible.

Ponds contain good bacteria and bad bacteria. The whole idea is to get a good healthy population of the good bacteria (the kind that converts your ammonia and nitrites into harmless nitrates) to be a strong population and to reduce the places where the harmful bacteria thrives. Bad bacteria thrives in places where there is no oxygen, such as in the sludge in the bottom of a filter or in the rotting sludge in the bottom of the pond. This bacteria is the kind that causes ulcers and rotting fins on fish. As the sludge builds up in the filter, there is less and less area where waterflow brings oxygen into the filter media and the good bacteria needs that oxygenated water to thrive. When a filter is cleaned, the sludge is all rinsed out of the bottom. This is not harming the good bacteria at all, since the good bacteria is not living in that sludge anyway....it is living on the bio-media. Bio-media can be rinsed with pond water or non-chlorinated water also without harming it. You do not have to start over after cleaning the filter and you never need to add any enzymes or bottled bacteria to get a pond and filter established.

I have used skippy filters on small water gardens in the past and still use them on my quarantine tanks, but two 150 gallon skippy is simply not enough filtration if you intend to keep koi. You will need a bare minimum of two 300 gallon skippy filters.

You need to have pumps large enough to turn over all of the water in your pond at least once every 1.5 hours. So if your pond is 13,000 gallons you will need two pumps that each move nearly 5000 gallons per hour.

If you want to put the filters inside the pond, the biggest problem you will encounter is when you drain them for cleaning. Running the plumbing is easy enough....just install a bulk head fitting in the pool wall and run the drain line through the bulkhead. Keep the valve inside the pond, under water so it does not freeze in the winter. But when you empty the filter, it will float. I am not sure how to tell you to overcome this problem. It will need to be weighted down with something pretty darn heavy to keep it down.

Since your pool is raised, have you though about using 55 gallon barrels for filtration instead of stock tanks? They are taller and very cheap, and you can build some wonderful DIY filters that work much, much better than a skippy filter works. You can actually put some bottom drain lines in the pool and gravity flow to the filters, then pump the water back to the pond. That way, the top of the filters would not even stick up above the top of the pool.

Here is a link that might be useful: lots of DIY filteration stuff

• lsst
    13 years ago

I agree with ccoombs. She has given you great advice.

I have my barrel filters and external pumps behind the wall and it works really well.

The filters are weighted with cinder block.

I keep them weighted down in case my GFCI outlet trips and my pump shuts off. If my check valves fail, the filter box will drain empty into the pond and it will float and make a mess. Also, if you do drain it to clean it, the cinder blocks keep it from floating.

I have a drain in the stock tanks for when I drain the filter to cut back overgrown plants.

HTH

• duddlydoright
    13 years ago

wow 1sst. ur pond looks amazing, please post more pictures, where are you located?

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

lsst- your pond is better than Disneyland. What a lovely thing you have created.

Pondluvr, I can't believe you posted this question just as I was about to email Skippy the same question. I have a similar situation, and wondered how well an in-pond biological filter would work. Thanks for posting it.
    Renee