Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Water lily noob!

Posted by Riasnow zone 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 0:19

I recently bought two water lily's from Lowes one a nymphaea chromatella and the other is a nymphaea james brydon. I am a new pond owner so I have many questions as can be seen in my other recent post. My uv filtration system has been running for a good 48 hours now, and I placed the plants in 24 hours ago. How long will it take for me to notice new growth? I know nothing about water lilies and when I opened the container and pulled out the net bad that it came in, the bulb type plants were black but there was still some moisture inside the dome. I really hope they aren't dead... Any information that may help? I'd much appreciate it. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Water lily noob!

You can see the floating plant locators on the pond surface, if anyone has any other plant suggestions for me to scavenge for in the local streams in zone 9 please don't hold back. I plan on adding commet golfish once the plants are established comfortably and some bugs come to take residence in the pond, so if anyone has any idea of the type of plants that will feed my fish a healthy diet, or feed the bugs my fish will eat, that will help a lot, too!

o

I hope they were in better shape than the one I bought from Menards (Drop and Grow). It was deader than a doornail, but the lady at the company said, "have faith....it WILL grow". Well, it didn't. An all of the containers of these lilies that various places were selling all looked just as dead.
You should have seen leaves in your container when you bought it. I hope you saved the receipt.

o

so far, so dead... one seems to want to sprout something, I'm just gonna leave them in the water for a good month and see if anything happens, but so far it doesn't look good... I'm gonna go kidnap a couple of wild plants instead from a stream behind an uncle of mines house and be done with it so I can release the fish in there before they grow old! Thanks for your input, I really appreciate the gesture :)

o

If you are in or near a large urban area, I would suggest that you look on craigslist for a ponder who has extra plants. However, it is too soon to worry about your plants. Even big divided clumps of lily plants don't take right off. Well, actually, I have never divided one in the summer and I suppose they should grow faster now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here