Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Parrots feather, are they floaters or submerged?

newgen
13 years ago

One website lists them as floaters, I got a few bunches, dropped them in the pond. Parts of the plants are vertical, green, and not in water, the horizontal parts are brownish and are in contact with the water. Am I supposed to add weight to the bunches and sink them to the bottom of the pond?

Thanks,

Comments (9)

• pondbucket
    13 years ago

They cascade across the top of the water. Not a Submerged plant to be anchored but an edging / bank plant to have wet feet. Floater, yeah probably. Mine really spread without getting as thick as I'd like. Spreads across the water between other plants at the edge and floating about, like between hardy water lilies and irises.

I have one pot with the top edge just below pool level. The plant is planted in some dirt with sand topping it. Others, like dwarf parrotsfeather, are planted along the banks between rocks. That seems more natural.

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Should I separate the branches or let them stay tied up with the rubber band?
    Thanks,
    {{gwi:224851}}

• ponderpaul
    13 years ago

If you look close, you will see them in competition with the water hyacinth in the bog pond. In the fore front the water was 4" Â 6" in the back right it was about 16". They do great in the bog! They do well in the pond too except for one little problem, the fish think they are the main course!
    {{gwi:224853}}

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a beautiful pond, thanks for sharing. I'm slowing populating mine with more plants. Do you have a pump in yours?
    Looks like the whole surface of your pond is covered with plants, is that desirable?

• ponderpaul
    13 years ago

At the time these pic were taken, this was my filter for my fish pond which is to the right of the bridge.
    {{gwi:224855}}
    The raised area at the left is actually a falls that is covered with feathers and water hyacinth.

• woeisme
    13 years ago

I don't know the maximum depth it can be done in, but I have had them anchored in an aquarium. If you have Koi or Goldfish, they will pull them out though. The aquarium was about 3' deep. These things don't require alot of light and when conditions are even mediocre they seem to thrive, guess thats why their listed as a "noxiouis weed" and invasive.

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

If I buy a potted parrots feather, then the pot sits at the bottom of the 3' pond and they grow to the top of the water and stick out. If I can get them only as cut pieces, then I throw them in the pond and they still look the same. Any weights or rubber bands eventually fall off so I don't concern myself with replacing them.

The tips stick out, the stems sort of hang down. I do remove them two or three times over the summer and cut off any part of the stem that looks like it is dead or dying. I don't know if this is the right way to handle them, but that's what I do.
    Anne

• User
    6 years ago

I have used Parrot Feather in many small fountains. It's pretty and easy to propagate. But bear in mind that it is illegal in at least 17 states. Why? It is highly invasive and dangerous to other aquatic plants. DO NOT let it get out of your pond or fountain. ESPECIALLY DO NOT let it go into a drain or waterway. Do a little research and choose Parrot Feather in the right situation only.

• Jon Biddenback
    6 years ago

I've read parrot's feather is a bottom plant and good choice for an oxygenator, but apparently I was misinformed.

Is there a reasonable oxygenator option for a pool-pond in north Georgia (zone 7b) that can be got cheap and doesn't need a substrate to root in?