Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

How often should the pump be on?

newgen
13 years ago

Pond is small, 10' x 15', approximately. I have the pump with bubbler and filter/skimmer. How often should it be run? Only 1 fish, a couple frogs, the rest are plants.

Thanks,

Comments (11)

• jalal
    13 years ago

10 x 15 is a good size pond! For the biomedia in your filter the pump needs to run 24/7 or a bare minimum have an airstone in the filter to keep the bacteria alive.

• nkm56
    13 years ago

24/7

If there is a cost issue, look into getting an energy efficient pump, but as jalal pointed out, turning off the pump can upset the balance in the pond. The purpose of the pump is to keep the water constantly moving, pulling bad stuff into the filters and delivering oxygen to the ammonia-neutralizing bacteria that grows in the filter media.

• woeisme
    13 years ago

Newgen,
    From what I remember, you don't really want fish? If so, just give it away or sell it etc. The filter and water movement still will help the plants. Water movement is under-rated sometimes. It helps spread the nutrients in the water around so they are more available to the plants that feed from them. It also will keep the surface clearer. Water changes should still be done to keep the water clear. Either way, some water movement should be included.

• hardin
    13 years ago

I run mine 24/7/365. Spring, summer, fall and winter.

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My bad, the pond is only 8' x 15'. The fish was dropped in by a friend when I wasn't home to refuse it. I guess 1 goldfish is not gonna dirty up the water much, so I'll leave it there. I just went to the river and picked up a few more water hyacynths. Funny how a local nursery is selling them 3 for $5. The instruction manual for the pump (1800 GPH rating) states that I can replace 1 of the filter (there are 2 layers of foam filters included) with some lava rocks. Should I?

Thanks,

Here are some pix, do you guys think the water movement is too much for this size pond? I turned the bubbler way down, otherwise it would produce an umbrella shape pattern and splash all over the lilies.
    {{gwi:224884}}
    {{gwi:224885}}

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

I don't have answers to your questions but do want to say I like your pond. Good Job.
    Anne

• nkm56
    13 years ago

One other thing to remember, especially if you're not going to keep fish -- mosquitoes. They like nice still pools of water, and if there are plants present, so much the better. So at least keep a bubbler going or something that keeps the water moving.

• ernie_m
    13 years ago

Awww... that poor poor lonely goldfish lost in such a big pond! I think you should at least go to Petsmart and rescue 1 large feeder goldfish minimum to give him a friend!

It is a lovely pond and I wish you all the best with it.

• comettose
    13 years ago

Great pond. If that were my pond I would make that fountain higher and keep the pump going 24/7 all year long for good circulation. Add tons of plants.

Your stone edging is really nice.

CT

• maggie_berry
    13 years ago

I really love your pond! I am thinking about going fish-less. How deep is the pond?
    I was wondering how much work it has been for you to maintain the pond daily? Is your water crystal clear without fish?

Maggie

• helenh
    13 years ago

The goldfish won't hurt anything and will eat mosquitoes. If you get it a friend, you may have babies. I am surprised you don't have a ton of tadpoles. I have a small pond and don't run the pump all the time. It is not as close to my house and I don't mind the green or brown water. If I had yours I would keep the pump going and keep it filtered nicely. The rock is very attractive and your tropical plants around it are nice too.