Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing lily leaves

Posted by flora2b z6a bc (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 2:06

Just wondering what all you creative folks do to remove your dead and dying foliage.....besides taking a dip.
Was wondering about those mechanical reaching hands.....would they tolerate the water on them?
Right now I use a toilet bowl brush attached to a long stick....really only removes the more decaying plant parts.
What do you use?
Thanks,
Flora2b

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing lily leaves

At some pet stores, you should be able to find a device with a blade on one end, a trigger on the other, and is long enough to reach into the pond. I can't remember the name of it, but it works great.

o

So far, I just take a dip. When the weather and water cool, I will turn 'smurf-colored' doing it, unless I find another solution like you. I will start surfing and see what I can find out for us.

o

I had a device with cutting blades. It worked great at cutting dead plant leaves off of the live plant, but was not so good at picking the cut off parts out of the water. The device lasted several years before it rusted and stopped working.

This year I came across a grabber device at Harbor Freight. It's all plastic and the two grabbing parts are strong enough to crush stems. Its easy to pull dead parts from the plant and remove them from the water. So far I'm very pleased with it. The HF grabber cost $3 vs $28 for a "pond pruner".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here