Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
goldfish losing color!!!

Posted by agap015 z5 Lowell, Mich. (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 5:19

Hi

One of my 2 year old goldfish is turning white. It is about 6" long. It is now about 80% white. This started about 1 week ago. Is something wrong with it? It seems healthy and the other 8 fish of the same age are showing no signs of this change. Is there a dietary vitamin that it is lacking. They eat only the algae that is in the pond + some ocassional koi food.

Thanks

George

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: goldfish losing color!!!

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 6:34

George, goldfish can change colour all through their lives.
Turning white is quite common and normal.
"Horton"

o
RE: goldfish losing color!!! [2]

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 6:45

George, remember this post on the subject of goldfish colour changing?
"Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Colour changes in goldfish.

o

I had one 26 cent feeder goldfish bought from PetSmart as a test fish who started off all black, but then developed beautiful orange flashed down either side. The orange and black alternate making his quite striking looking. He's one of my rescue fish I keep as I never planned what I'd do with my test fish if they lived (so now I have mostly comets).

I had to change his name from "Blackie" to "Darth Maul."

o

Hi

Thanks to all for the info! Especially you Horton. I remembered that I posed the question that you linked, but it had to do with color change from dark to gold. In your answer then was the fact that they can go from gold to white or other colors. I forgot that tidbit of info. I was just worried that "Big Daddy" as we call him was sick. I'll stop worrying now and just enjoy my 1600 gallon aquarium.

Thanks

George

o

Arn't they interesting. One of my fish =Black-> Gold -> White -> now White with Gold spots.

o

In 1997 I bought 'Goldie' for my son. Goldie is now still called Goldey but Whitey would be more appropriate. Oh, and she is a he. I like white goldfish.

o

I would like a yellow goldfish but from what I gather reading the the link above there is no guarantee that it will stay yellow, correct? Does the color changing slow down as they age?

o

Most of my "Gold" fish are still gold and seem to be staying that way. However nothing is definate.

o

One of my comet babies from last summer started fading this spring. I immediately thought fatal disease, before reading about color changes. This forum is so helpful. The youngster is now a beautiful yellow, almost like a butterfly koi.

Rosemary

o

I have 5 gold fish in a 20 gallon tank there about 1-3 inches a peice... they are all turning WHITE... i can see the orange pigment under their scales but even my black, orange, red one is starting to turn white how do i get there color back? There water levels are all good and i keep the tank circlating and i have a light i turn on for about 8-12 hours a day... they swim around and seem fine and i'm feeding them goldfish pellets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here