Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koijoyii

Gotta love that watercress..............................

koijoyii
13 years ago

even when the roots grow so thick they block the outflow and overflow outlets in your skippy and you come home to 1 ft. of water drained out of the pond. Guess I'm going to have to check on it more frequently. Once I was able to find the skippy through the watercress mass I had to pull out huge goo-gobs of it. Then after I cleared both outlets so the water could flow freely the skippy stopped overflowing. Glad I got home when I did. My skimmer was almost empty and the pump was almost running dry. I usually do a 25% water change every Saturday, guess I won't need to this weekend. Oh, the joys of ponding. lol

Jenny

Comments (7)

• duddlydoright
    13 years ago

Dang, sorry to hear that Jenny, I havnt forgot about you, Ive just been having a nigthmare over here with the pond so I havnt invited you over.

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

Boy, I don't know how you do it. I can't get it to grow!!! But the WH in the skippy is looking great, so I'm happy.
    Anne

• comettose
    13 years ago

Sorry for the problem Jenny. My problem is the opposite. I can't get that to grow for the life of me. I toss it in and that is the last I see of it. I've only tried it when the water is cooling down and the other plants are settling down for the winter.

• sheepco
    13 years ago

Yep, I guess you have the touch. I buy several bunches each spring, anchor them in the stream, and they do great....until we get some temps in the 80-90's. Even if I trim them up when they get leggy, they just peter out.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe not enough sun, too much? They get at about 1/2 a day of full sun.

S

• goodkarma_
    13 years ago

Awww.....what a sight to come home to. Glad it turned out OK. After I read this I had a dream in which my pond drained overnight. lol

Growing Watercress isn't hard but the plant can be contrary sometimes or some seasons. From my observations Watercress will do the best in part shade with visibly moving water. It will do great in full sun if by a waterfall until the temps get into the 90's in which it will seem to become submerged under the water. The worst growing condition I have seen is in water without very much movement. I really think water movement is the key when growing it. Hope that helps.

Lisa

• horton
    13 years ago

Lisa, has it in spades, watercress can be a finicky plant.
    It is really a cool water temperature plant and grows naturally, by spreading it's roots out into fast flowing water, from the banks of streams.
    If I put it in my waterfall, it can become a bit of a pest very quickly.
    Strong sunlight will knock it back and it becomes straggly, but usually the roots are still doing their job, by pulling out the excess nutrients in the water.
    Be sure you are buying "True Watercress" not pepper cress or one of the other garden cress, they don't do well in water.
    "Horton"

• mike_il
    13 years ago

Lisa and Horton are right on the mark. When a fellow ponder gave me my first watercress 18 years ago I put it in the waterfall of my front pond. It did nothing and after the first it was just about dead. I moved to my back pond and put it in a stream. By fall it was growing great and parts of that plant was planted in the waterfalls and filter and has done great wear ever I put it. Every winter and spring I throw away over a hundred pounds of it. During the summer most of it is gone but it is back every fall. The difference between the two ponds is the front pond gets more sun.
    Mike