Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koijoyii

Has anyone tried................................

koijoyii
13 years ago

Lisa's (goodkarma) homemade fish food recipe? Would like to hear some feedback if you have.

I just made a batch last night and I must say my koi don't want to eat the Hikari Gold anymore. I cannot say enough about this food. I know exactly what my koi are getting. I buy all organic fruits and vegetables so I know they aren't getting any chemicals or additives. The pet store who took a lot of my koi fry couldn't believe how big and beautiful my koi fry were, and remarked that they have never seen such vibrant coloring in koi anywhere. Now that the days are getting shorter I give them the homemade food in the morning and the Hikari Gold in the evening. I was giving them the homemade food three times a day. When I throw the Hikari Gold in the pond they swim around like "Yeah, right, we want the good stuff." I swear they grew three inches longer this summer eating this food. The five koi that I bought two years ago have caught up to my five year olds. The koi fry that were born in May are now about six inches long and very fat. (Unfortunately too fat to fit in the minnow trap so they have been granted amnesty until I can figure out a new way to catch them) Maybe I'll have to put them on a diet. lol I paid approximately $75 for an 11# bag of Hikari Gold online, so the price is around the same, I don't know what the shelf life is for bagged food, but at least I know the homemade food is fresh. I always make a double batch and freeze about 2/3 of it after baking. I take it out of the freezer as I need it. Making this food is well worth the effort because the rewards are amazing. If my fish could be still for even a minute I would try to get some pics to post, but when they think I am going to give them this food they go ballistic.

Jenny

Comments (11)

• chickadeedeedee
    13 years ago

No but I'd LOVE to know what it is so our kids can try it!

Could you post it please or give the link where to find it? Thanks! :-)

• koijoyii
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Chicka:

Here is the link to the recipe. Be sure to scroll all the way down so you can see her variations. I always add one whole peeled naval orange to be sure they get enough vitamin C.

Please post your results if you try it.

Jenny

Here is a link that might be useful: Lisa's homemade fish food recipe

• chickadeedeedee
    13 years ago

Thank you! :-)

• loriques
    13 years ago

i'm so going to make some tomarrow.. i will post how my fishies like it..

• koijoyii
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just want to state my facts as I have personally experienced them since using the recipe for Lisa's fish food.

My pond is in it's fifth year. I started with six 5 inch koi and two shubunkins. The only thing I fed my fish during the first four years were Cheerios, watermelon, canteloupe, zuchinni and Tetra Pond food sticks. Five of my fish did not seem to grow and their coloring was bland, however the white ogon butterfly was always a little bit larger than the other five. The orange coloring on the other fish looked like a light peach and the black coloring was gray.

Last spring I purchased six more koi that were five inches long. Same as the koi I started with five years ago. This year I started making my own fish food using Lisa's (goodkarma's) recipe and I can't believe what has happened. The five year olds are larger and their coloring is very vibrant, the koi I bought last year have caught up to the older larger fish (five year olds). All of the other fish are also this size. These younger fish were only about seven inches long this spring. I would guess they are now approximately 18 inches long, or longer. Here is a picture to show you exactly what I mean.

The large white fish to the left of the photo is my 5 year old white ogon butterfly, the fish in the center right behind the white ogon is also 5 years old (orange and black ginrin) and the fish on the right is the 2 year old I bought last spring (white with black down the middle of its back). If you compare them, they are all the same size (the small brat in the middle is a shubunkin). If you look closely in the top of the pic you can see some of the fry that were born in the pond this spring. They are now about 4-5 inches long. I supplement the homemade fish food with Hikari Gold which they are refusing to eat since I have been making Lisa's food. Another good thing with this food is that it is a sinking food. Koi are naturally bottom feeders. The only purpose for floating fish food is to enable you to see your fish when they come to the surface to eat. As I said the facts speak for themselves.

{{gwi:202570}}

Jenny

• chickadeedeedee
    13 years ago

Hiya!!! :-)

We made up the koi food but also had added sweet peas and 2 scallops. ....Forgot the list ... LOL!

The koi have become ... uhhhh .... piranhas! Tiz be the BEST food ever!!!!!!!!! :-)

• koijoyii
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Chicka:

Isn't that food great. How are the grandkids doing. The ones I put in my top pond are HUGE. Maybe the ones in the big pond are too but I can't tell because of the pond size. I swear when the fish in the top pond see me coming with that food they jump out of the water to greet me.

My mandivilla (sp) vine is so beautiful. I must confess I didn't plant it. It's sitting in a bucket of water in it's pot. This way I don't have to worry about forgetting to water it. I didn't plant it because I want to try to bring it in and let it grow in my sunroom over the winter. I hope it makes it. That little vine has brought such enjoyment to me this summer. If it doesn't make it this winter I will have to buy another one next year. You got me hooked!

Happy rest of the summer to you, Mike and all the residents of Camp Nappy.

Jenny

• chickadeedeedee
    13 years ago

Hi Jenny! :-)

Thanks for re-posting Lisa's wonderful recipe! The Grandkoi thank you both too! The fish WERE jumping out of the water in their greeding feeding frenzy! Rani and Daisy had been playing but stopped and came near the ponds to see what the heck the fish were doing.

Daisy did one of those stances where she gets down on her front legs and butt in the air and then went running like wild ... seemingly sharing in their happiness. HAPPY she didn't jump in with them too! 8-)

Glad your vine is bringing you happiness too. Put him in the sunniest place in your house when he comes inside. He probably will stop blooming ... if there isn't enough sunshine. Not enough sunshine during an Ohio winter?!?!?

Impossible!

Got our TSO tickets Wednesday ... ordered them any way. Roll on November!

You and yours enjoy your summer too. It was sooooo nice to meet you all!

• chickadeedeedee
    13 years ago

Hmmmmmmmmmm ................!

Koi babes are still piranahs ... NOT that they are spoiled .... ! :)

• SLO66
    10 years ago

I just made the recipe today following to a T and using tilapia. My koi didn't like it, unfortunately. They ate it and then spit it out. My mosquito minnows seemed to like it tho, but they will eat anything that falls into the pond, just about. I had high hopes for this recipe too. Sad it didn't work for me.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

I tried Repashy food last year - or should I say my FISH tried it. Has stuff in it that fish love but are totally unappetizing for people, and the fact that its easy to make and you can freeze leftovers is good. It's very affordable for a regular treat for goldfish but a horde of hungry koi - well, that could get expensive!

My fish don't seem to like any people food at all, except peas. Now bugs and worms falling in the pond - that is a fish's idea of fine cuisine.