Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water lilies and skimmers

Posted by coxy Zone 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 9:28

We are building a lily pond that is large enough to warrant a skimmer. We intend that the water will just flow in as opposed to falling in to keep things as still as possible but I was wondering if the lilies will get sucked into the skimmer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water lilies and skimmers

• Posted by jalal z3/Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 0:36

A skimmer is intended to pull the surface dust, leaves, dead algae etc into it. It will also draw any floating plants like hyacinth and duck weed. While lily leaves may not go into the skimmer itself any stuff floating on the top of the pond will jam up against the lily leaves so the skimmer is no longer skimming. I've placed my lilies in my pond so that the current from the waterfall to the skimmer is not impeded by lily pads. I'm not sure if lily leaves in the way would cause a problem with the skimmer clogging--if my pond is too full the pump still draws water from the skimmer but draws no surface leaves, litter etc. I'm more concerned that the lily may impede the flow (like a dam) and the skimmer will not have enough water in it causing problems for my pump and also restrict the circulation of the pond.

o

I haven't had any trouble with that problem. My skimmer is on one end of the pond, with the waterfall on the opposite side. I have my lily planted in a large but shallow pot, and it is setting on the bottom of the pond closest to the skimmer because the water is very still there.

Here is a picture to give you an idea.

Photobucket

o

OK, I see, but Jalal made a good point about the pads creating a damming effect and restricting the water flow into the skimmer. No problems there? I guess I could try to keep them more toward the sides.

o

I haven't had any problems as far as a damming effect. Water will just flow through, around and under the leaves.

o

Worst case scenario, you have to rake a few dead leaves and such from between the lily leaves towards the skimmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here