Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Is this an unnatural feeling?

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

I have heard of being personally attached to your cat or dog, even people.

But is it weird to be attached to a couple of frogs?lol

It is ok to be brutally honest here.

Yes, I have Koi and frogs, and yet the ones I look forward to seeing the most everyday are my Bull Frogs!

They sing at night, grunt, eat lot's of crickets when I am bored and have stood by my side for weeks as I sat out there with an injured foot layed up at home.

I think I am beginning to see their personalities and even worry about their future as I see winter fast approaching..lol

What about you? Are you attached to your pond creatures?

MIke

Comments (19)

• auntydarla
    12 years ago

Mike... Welcome to my world... lol... My family helps me spoil my two bullfrogs.. my friends chuckle at me and my coworkers just roll their eyes when I talk about them... I love my frogs more than my fish... I get all bummed when I go out and they arent't at the pond...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is me all over..lolololol

I tell them they don't know what is like to live in the city and even see one until they have tried it! I do love them more than my fish.lol They have a much funner personality and much more entertaining. I just hope they find somewhere to hide in winter and come back to give me a repeat preformance.lol Seriously though.

Mike

• auntydarla
    12 years ago

Mine survived the winter fine.. seen one of them most of the winter, but I live in oregon so it only got really cold for a short period of time.

• catherinet
    12 years ago

You can become attached to absolutely any other organism! It means you have a heart! :)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

We've a big black blind fancy fantail goldfish. My wife worships the thing as if she were some monk in some old Asian myth.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol....A Monk in an Asian myth..lol

Catherinet: That was very nice:-)

Hum. I always thought Oregon stayed cold for a while. Lucky you.

Mike

• mondotomhead
    12 years ago

Hi Mike!

I love my frogs too. Try this. Take a hotdog and cut it into "worm size" strips. Put one on a stick and hold it near the frog(s). They should go for it right away. After a few days your frogs will swim to you from anywhere in your pond. They get nice and fat for overwintering too.

I thought this up because I hated giving them living things to eat.

• chi2aznan
    12 years ago

I'm another one!!
    I have a big bull frog, he isn't friendly YET, but I find myself always looking around for him hoping he is still around. I had a smaller leopard frog too but haven't seen him lately sure hope the bull frog didn't get him. This is his second year hopefully he will make it through the winter. Although I don't know where he came from, there is no water sources around me, but as they say "if you build it they will come"

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, Mike!

On Saturday night, we were all hanging around the pond at my friends' new house.
    We spotted a nice bull frog in the shallows, and we convinced one of the ladies
    to pet the frog to see if it would turn into a prince. Well, it didn't...but it jumped
    and scared her as soon as she touched it, and we all had a laugh.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh: lololol..I can picture that..lol. I am just glad she did not fall for teh kissing thing.lol
    Good to see you around these parts.;-)

Chi: You are not alone either..lol. Do you know that not one day has gone by that I did not look for my frogs?! Oh yes, I forgot look for the fish though.
    That is so encouraging! I hear that they will proabbly make a hole somewhere in the yard and sleep there until the spring. I hope so. I am going to dump a huge pile of mulch right next to the pond. I have been told that they actually go into Kryo freeze stage at the bottom of the pond and thaw out as spring arrives, not sure of that one though.

Hi Mondo: I shall have to give that a try. It actually let me pet him the other day. It stares right at me when it thinks I am going to toss a few crickets..
    The other one jumps into the pond as soon as I walk in and I can hear it screetch at the same time. Quite funny actually.

Mike

12 years ago

Oh, believe me, Mike, we certainly tried... ;-)
    but she just wouldn't kiss it. And to top it all off, she ran over and wiped her hand on my shirt.
    I didn't turn into a prince, either.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lololol

Are you trying to say you look like a frog? lol
    You should of waited until after she had a few drinks..lol

Now I am off to your pepper thread. I can not wait to see what you have added!
    Josh, I have not seen my frogs for two days now. I am getting worried. Ever since all that rain we had for 3 days in a row;-(

Mike

12 years ago

She'd had a few blackberry martinis already.... ;-)

Thanks for dropping by the pepper Thread, too! I just left a post there a couple minutes ago.

Your frogs are probably just hanging out under some rocks and foliage. My frogs spend the day
    beneath my water dishes and under my deck; then they crawl up in the evening to take a bath.

Josh

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I'm attached to my frogs, dragonflies and a wild turtle I'm going to worry about until he comes back out (without my help just fine) in spring. It's a stupid turtle too. I spend so much time outside the birds,rabbits,frogs and dragonflies ignore me. Mr. Turtle flies back in the water in full panic mode when I'm 50 feet away.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh..lol. You are too funny! By the way, I LOVED your pepper thread!
    Now I have a baby turtle swimming around in there and have no idea what to do with it from today one!

Hey Pj: I hear you on that one!

MIke

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Mike, do you have a picture of your frog?

Funny, I've considered building a pond and adding fish, etc, but wondered what would have to be done during winters' cold months.
    I've heard different stories, one being, fish live underwater even when the top is frozen. But, wouldn't one need a huge pond so the bottom wouldn't freeze? I don't think it's possible.

Others said: Mom and dad fish, lay eggs, then are history after water freezes. Babies hatch in spring. I wonder about this story/myth too.
    When I bred fish, the parents helped, from building the nest, 'out of spit,' to teaching their fry.

One last thing. Yes, I agree, I would fall in love with a frog...'even if he didn't turn into a handsome prince,' lol.
    But, since they eat crickets, 'an insect I like,' I couldn't feed them live crickets. I'd fall for the crickets, too..lol.

Okay, I'm a hypocrate. I eat some meat. Only difference is my dinner doesn't walk, run or hop around. lol.
    I wouldn't dare eat raw fish/Sushi..YUCK. Come to think about it, I eat very little cooked fish. Decapitate their heads! Gross!!!

Is a pond a pond w/o fish or frogs?

Oh, one more question..Sorry.

I have a huge, shallow pot without drainage. 6-7' diameter, 3-4' deep.
    Could this pot be used to make a pond? I was thinking of digging a huge hole in the ground, setting the pot in the hole. Would this work?

If not, what other uses can be done with it? I've had it since 1999. It's painted gold. Any ideas?

PS...do frogs need meat? Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni:

Now we need to start another thread about being attached to crickets..lolololol

I do let one loose time I get a bag of them. I swear they know when they are going to die, especially when they pretend they are dead floating on the water and then when they finally move, they try and move ssslllooowwwllly and bang, the frog jumps it!lol

I am not sure about the pond not freezing yet! I was told that if I left the falls going and used a floating heat device, I would be ok, well the frogs will be.I hope so since this winter will be a great learning experience, success, or learning curve for me.

I am so happy to see you here! I too eat things that don't move, but for my frogs, that is a different story! They eat any insect that moves.lol

I think a pond is a pond even if nothing alive is in it.hummm?

About that pot, hum, you might be able to grow a guppy in it..lol

Yes, frogs eat meat! They are also vegetarians..lol

I just saw my frog today and he is HUGE! It looks well fed although I have not fed it for weeks! They certainly have a way of caring for themselves even without me.lol

Mike

• nann0n
    12 years ago

My biggest disappointment with my two small ponds is that no frogs came. When I created them I was truly hoping to have a resident Australian Green Tree Frog move in but nada. Instead I got two crows that regularly bathe, which is more of an annoyance than anything. On the plus side, the fish breed like crazy so I'm always seeing new colours and they attract other birds such as butcher birds (have an amazing song voice and can mimic anything).
    I'm hoping that maybe this summer some frogs will move in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Australian green tree frog

• cybersal
    12 years ago

Look at how many were attached to non-living Beanie Babies. I used to have a saucer sized frog at the back steps and loved to see him near the dripping faucet and to hear his tree-frog cousins every night.
    We were forced to get peafowl and guinea to control the scorpions and rattlers and soon the amphibious residents went into a decline.
    We are now in another house/city and we always have one at the front door to eat all the mosquitoes he can.
    I'd gladly provide a winter retreat for frogs but don't know how or how to lead them to it. We don't get cold for long periods but I haven't noticed any big ones coming back.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!