Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelemiahisback

Funny Froggie Story

shelemiahisback
11 years ago

The Southern Toads vs The Green Tree Frogs

We love our pond and our toads and frogs...well...okay, I do anyway, and even I have my tempting moments to send my son out with his airsoft gun and FIND them! Hubby's not as kind hearted toward them as I am, but my future son in law chimes in and pleads my case. LOL So far we've only had Southern Toads and Cubans in the pond. Out on the front porch (the pond is outside our bedroom window, thus hubby's sometimes lack of compassion for the "froggies") we have Greenhouse Frogs, soooooo CUTE and musical!!

All kidding aside, we love the Southern Toads in the yard since they're natives. But their call is a high pitched scream!! YIKES!! It literally wakens me in the middle of the night. They must be territorial, so when the Cubans moved in they quieted; but as non-annoying as the Cubans call is they're not native and their waste makes a mess, so we were very happy when they moved out (I seriously think they hated the Southern's screaming as much as we do, LOL).

Last night we heard a new call and finally (after a couple hours of listening to calls online) figured out it was a Green Tree Frog. The Southerns would start to scream and were stopped short by the GTF's..honk...honk...honk. So the Southerns would end their scream short with what seriously sounded like a growl! It was hilarious!!! In all these years (about 7) we've NEVER heard the Southerns make this sound, but it was clearly them and I was dying with laughter! I kid you not they honestly GAVE UP!! I went to sleep last night with the honk...honk...honk of the GTF rather than the scream of the Southern Toad! Go KERMIE!!! We'll see how the rest of this season goes, but last night was sweet dreams for this Froggie Mom!

Comments (3)