Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rams2050

Liner for an aboveground pond

rams2050
10 years ago

Hi!

My husband and I have built an aboveground pool that measures 7' x 9'.

We have a 45ml EPDM liner that will overlap about 2 feet on each side.

We plan to use heavy coping stones on the top layer to hold the liner in place. I had been planning to mortar the stones in place on top of the liner because I am afraid if a raccoon gets up there and goes all jiggy on it that it might actually cause the coping stones to fall INTO the pond and damage the liner.

My husband pointed out that if the coping stones are secured to the liner -- and the liner is not secured to the aboveground pool first -- that the raccoon or cat or whatever might cause the coping stones to crash into the pool and pull part of the liner in with them.

My question: should I secure the liner separately to the top row of stacked cement bags (which is how we constructed our aboveground pond)? Or would just mortaring the coping stones in place above the liner work just as well.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide me. I have built two water features previously, but both were made of preformed pools, etc., so I didn't have liner issues. Plus, I cannot find an answer to this question anywhere, so I am getting desperate.

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

Rams,
    Please post a pic! Pleaseeeeee

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    You're underestimating the weight of the water lol. Be sure the liner is resting securely on the bottom as you fill
    The liner is NOT going anywhere. . Water weighs 9 pounds to the gallon . At least a couple of tons on it lol
    gary

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

It would depend on how the stones were supported from underneath and the size of the raccoon.

A stone with fairly smooth edges isn't likely to damage 45mil EPDM.

• rams2050
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hate to post a photo because the pond doesn't have its liner yet. It is looking pretty rough right now because we have been inundated with rain for the past week or so and have not been able to do squat with the pond.

When we stacked the cement bags, we did not remove the bags because until it rained on the bags the cement inside was still loose. So, now with all this rain the bags are disintegrating and they look awful. At least we now can see the cement underneath and, yes, I think it will look like gray fieldstone once the wrappings are off. But right now? Sort of hideous, in my opinion. But I PROMISE to post photos when -- or IF -- we can ever get back out there and do some more work, hideous or not. You will at least get an idea of what it is going to look like when finished.

Gary -- I think my stones will have rounded edges. We plan to go shopping for them next week as our pool 'advisor' has told us of a great place to find them.

I sure hope it gets hot again because the EPDM is going to be pretty stiff as we try to position it into the bottom of the pond. So, naturally, I'm hoping for a short heat wave!