Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annedickinson

Rock on a Roll

annedickinson
11 years ago

I was doing a pond-related search and came across Rock on a Roll. I know that sometimes people ask about ways to disguise the pond liner that shows above the water. This is a vinyl material that looks like the surface of a rock and there are photos that show it in use on ponds and streams. I don't know if this would be a viable solution but thought I'd mention it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock on a Roall

Comments (11)

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

What a great way to cover the black pond liner!!! Looks like good stuff! Glad you posted about it!

• chas045
    11 years ago

The stuff sounds like a good idea but I can't say that their own pictures were an enticement. It seems like free rocks, logs, and driftwood in addition to inexpensive plants and vines or grasses easily do the trick.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    has anuyone ever seen the stuff?? Is it actually dimensional or just flat printed?? Seemed rather expensive if just flat ?? gary

• sleeplessinftwayne
    11 years ago

One photo seems to show it does have dimension but from the way they are using it, I would be worried about wicking.

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since it is vinyl it might not wick; though just plain old dirt wicks if it touches the water. I am going to get some and try it out. I'll let you know what I think.

• gilroybighouse
    11 years ago

I ran across this stuff online the other day, and would be really interested in your evaluation of it, if you buy some.
    Mike

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Received the Rock on a Roll. Unfortunately it is raining and I can't take it outside to really look at it. From the dim lighing in the computer room it does look like rock.

It is dimentional and rough like a rock.

I will post more this weekend when I can get it outside and really try it out.

So far I am very impressed with what I see and feel (feels like the big old rock that sits at the edge of the property).

Maybe this will be just what I need to disguise the parts of the skippy filter that are exposed and the ugly pipe that shows.

Anne

• koidog10
    11 years ago

I don't get on here much but i do read post on on here
    I have roll of the rock & roll just below my water fall
    been there for almost 3 years I like it I need to buy some more to go around my pond just haven't done it yet.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Never heard of it but it does seem very promising. Even though it is still not a natural material it looks significantly better than shiny black liner or plastic pots, pipes, buckets, barrels etc.

• annedickinson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finished the Rock on a Roll projects I was working on. The link to the report is below.

The end result is that I like it. It is well made and looks and feels real.

Here is a link that might be useful: Results of Rock on a Roll

• HU-738285375
    3 years ago

I have used Rock on a Roll on my pond and just recently in my garden. I laid it down and cut around plants and then placed a few strategic rocks. It looks like a real rock surface especially with a get larger rocks. Nothing grows through it and is so much easier than placing a barrier down which still has to be covered! It’s been in place 4 years and still looks like it did the first year.

not that it’s cheap but it looks beautiful because it does have depth and lasts forever unlike what I have experienced before.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler