Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first leak. I need help.

Posted by aggierose (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 11:19

Well, my container pond leaks. Actually, the spitter is leaking. But, I can't figure out why. If I place the spitter on a ledge right next to the pond and the same height as the pond, it doesn't leak at all. When I place the spitter on a ledge about 6 inches above the top of the whiskey barrell, (which is where I want to keep it)it leaks and the water all drains out of the barrell. Why does it leak just because I move it to a new location? Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first leak. I need help.

Well I can only guess that maybe it is the same reason my spitter leaked this year. I have one of the tall crane spitters where the water spits out between the beaks. What took me weeks to figure out was the water was barely hitting the edge of the beak leading to a drip or two a minute leak off the tail! I knew water dripped off the tail but it took an algae trail to find the source.

The fix was simple: I just added a half inch piece of aquarium hose to the spitter output to guide the stream away from the beak. With the water leaving the beak cleanly I had no more leak.

Can you take a picture and post it here?

o
RE: My first leak. I need help.

Is the hose seated tightly on the intake? If the leak is there, you should get a hose clamp. If it is with the spitter itself, do you know exactly where the leak is? It can be repaired with epoxy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here