Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

Where do I begin?

aggierose
13 years ago

I have always wanted a pond, or at least a beautiful, relaxing water feature. We have just moved into a new home and I would like to get one put in, but I have no idea where to even start. Our home is new construction so there are no large trees in our subdivision at all. So, any water feature I would put in would be in full sun, at least for a few years. Is that ok? Our house faces north so the backyard gets hot texas sun all day. I am also terrible about how/where to place things and I have no vision, so I don't even know where to put a water feature, other than I want to make sure to be able to see it from the living room doors/windows. Is there any advice you can give me? Do most of you build your own or have them built? I'm quite sure I couldn't build my own, and my husband has no desire to have one so I know he won't do it. Is it bad to have a "pond" company build one? If I go that route, how do I know I'm not getting ripped off? Also, if I end up with a Koi pond, will they stay alive and not get eaten since I don't have any shade or protection from trees? Thanks in advance!

Belinda

Comments (4)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    13 years ago

Hey there, Belinda. It is hard to know where to start, especially since your DH is not interested. I would check out what is available at your public library to start just to see all the differences in style, size and use. Knowing what your budget can take is important as well. Do you want fish or just plants? Since you are starting with a blank landscape you might want to work up a fairly detailed landscape design before you break ground.

Dallas probably has a club that will show members ponds from time to time. Take one of the tours and ask questions.

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

Look at lots and lots of them. In person if you can. You'll notice pretty quickly what you like and what you dislike. Then decide fish or no fish. I'll be honest- I never really cared about the fish when I was starting out, but now they are my favorite part of my garden, and that's saying a lot because I collect roses and fragrant plants and have 2 acres of stuff I really enjoy seeing.
    Read everything there is to read on building one- even if you pay someone. Cause the builders may not want to build as deep as you'll need for fish in a hot place like Texas, and the builders may not want to go to the trouble of bottom drains and other maintenance issues to make keeping the water easy instead of a full time pain in the behind.

• hardin
    13 years ago

Do the research, which will help you decide whether you want a pond or a pondless waterfall feature. As said above, look at some ponds, by way of pictures and in person, if possible.

I was lucky enough to live close enough to a pond store which have several they have built on their grounds. I got down close to, walked behind them and made notes as I sat by them of my likes and dislikes. It was a year of research before I 'broke' ground. This forum was a HUGE help, and my info came from the questions I asked and some came from the searching through all the topics and doing lots and lots of reading.

There are so many things to think about, beginning with what the budget will allow, how big, how deep, what shape, fish or no fish, plants, and so on. What type of filters, pumps, and whether you want a bottom drain or not. Some ponds are simple, and some are very elaborate. The research will help you decide much of what you do and don't want. You will also want to factor in how much time you will have to devote to the maintenance.

One way you can decide where to put it, is by using a water hose. Lay it in the yard, make different shapes with it, and view it from the windows when you are inside. Mine is in full all day sun also, and it has done just fine. The biggest help has been the coverage I have as far as plants whick also takes a little time too. I do wish I had kept digging another foot down at least, as mine is only 2 feet deep. I did build my own and would do it again, mistakes and all. I loved doing it. I do wish I had gone to one of the build-a-pond classes at the pond store but all ended well. I have even been thinking of building another one, but that will be later on. Good luck.

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

Belinda,

I had wanted a pond for YEARS!!! I bought Water Pond magazines,stood in Lowes for over an hour looking at their books, searched on line, and went to the library for 2 years before I actually started my pond.

I wish I had found this site before I started the pond, but the people here have helped tremendously over the years.

The one thing people say, and I agree: No matter how big you build it, you always want it bigger!!! hahaha

Good luck and keep us posted. Remember, there is no question too dumb to ask! We've all been there, done that; no matter what "that" happens to be.

Anne