Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Dechlorinator

Debbie Downer
11 years ago

Just happened to read � that dechlorinators or water treatments that remove heavy metals are, in effect, removing minerals that youd want to have for your plants to grow�. Which means buy fertilizer I guess???

There is also other stuff in the dechlorinators that Im not sure I need � stress coat (what is that?) and ammonia removal for example. Dont I want the ammonia? So that it can cycle into nitrate aka plant fertilizer, I mean.

So maybe this is why my plants look so pathetic!! No nitrate, no minerals would mean they are dying a slow death from starvation, no?

What do ya�ll use to dechlorinate?

Comments (8)

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

Dechlorinators do not remove ammonia, they convert it to a less toxic form which can still be converted by bacteria into nitrite.

• NaturesFolly
    11 years ago

Could you give us the size of your pond? That would go a long way to help you :)

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its about 7 x 8 x average of 30 inches (12-40" at the deepest) Somewhere between 700-800 gallons.

Waterbug, aha - so the cycle is helped by it, not interrupted. But ... where would the ammonia come from? I'm still trying to figure out why water straight from the tap tests positive for ammonia AFTER adding the dechlorinator (tests negative before adding it.)

A rep from Prime says only way that could happen is if our tap water has chloramine in it - the Prime releases or unbinds the ammonia (or whatever the exact chemistry term is). However - our city water dept. DENIES there is chloramine added! It's a mystery.

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

I don't know what level of ammonia you are seeing so I really can't guess at the source. Would also need to know what test you're using. There are several ways to test ammonia.

If your water supplier says they use chlorine and not chloramine I would trust that info, assuming you contacted the correct supplier. They don't have any reason to hide it. Can you provide a link to your water company's web site?

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    There is an old saw in the fish hobby that if you change less than 10 percent of the water you don't need de chlors. Have found this to be true in both tanks and ponds. So in your case that would be around 70 gallons??
    I use a rainwater purge system as my only filtration alond with tap additions . have never had a fatality EXCEPT when I let the tap run for over 24 hours . Don't do that
    Can't imagine a city water NOT using chloramines maybe even ammonia . Chlorine is used because of it's sterilizing properties,relatively cheap and is very safe.
    But it's highly volitile leaves solution rapidly Chloromine as well as ammonia help extend the effective
    length of time . i only have one small aquarium on tap water but there I rely on 48 hours to remove the chlorine.
    Though i sometimes use a dechlor ,it's so cheap in small qantitties . Why not?? lol gary

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ive been using all kinds of tests with varying degrees of frustration - my favorites (sarcasm) are the yellow tabs or the yellow dots. Invariably these gave me gave me a green border around a center of yellow - how the heck do you read THAT? Either go by the yellow (no ammonia) or the dark green (total ammonia, fish are all dead). Or presumably it's really something in between........?

Finally got the complete liquid chemistry set and the colors match up much better to the cards.

Has anyone out there used the filters you screw onto your hose? How do these work - is it still a chemical neutralizer that ADDS chemical to the water, or does it actually filter OUT or REMOVE the chlorine/chloramine? If the latter that would be great since apparently dechlorinator breaks down the chloramine and you end up with more ammonia in your system than you might have otherwise. Even if it cycles into nitrite/nitrate, it is still adding to the load, no?

I got one those filter cartridges but havent used it - it has a funny smell and the water I got out of it tasted funny.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DOES ANYONE KNOW what is in dechlorinator - what is the chemical composition.

I have been experiencing a major allergic outbreak like Ive never had before- hives all over. trying to figure out what I could have come in contact with and I keep thinking that my wading into the pond every other day to pull out the filter for cleaning might have something to do with it as Ive noticed some irritaiton in the past. Ive never heard of dechlorinator being toxic, and yet the stuff says on the label for "ornamental" fish only, not fish for human consumption - so what's up with that

Anyone tried the hose chlorine filter attachment?

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

Chemically, what is in a Dechlorinator?

I checked this out and it reads as if it were reliable.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths