Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What does lotus like?

Posted by chezron 10b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 13:48

How does pond Lotus do in San Diego? I bought a big beautiful one and it seems to be slowly dying. I have it in my pond. Is it the pH? It is in full sun. My water is alkaline. The temperature here ranges from 70-90f.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What does lotus like?

I assume Lotus would do great in San Diego. Great climate for growing just about anything.

I don't think the water pH or alkalinity would have much if any effect, but the soil could. Like if you used potting soil that can be a problem depending on the type and quality. Regular backyard dirt should be OK.

Maybe more info would help. Like how is it dying, how deep is it planted, what kind of pot/soil, how/when do you fertilize, what do you mean your water is alkaline...that kind of stuff.

o

Hi
What type of lotus?? I grew them many years ago and the main problem was it overran the entire pool lol Started a tropical Asian type in Jan and until recently thought it was dying . Recently it has really begun to grow
Posted a pic on "shiroman lotus " in this forum .
They produce floating pads before the uprights. they are supposed to fade as it develops . Is this what you're seeing?? Is the tuber buried??
Was surprised that it took so long to grow though the tuber was completely dormant when I got it.
Seems to be headed in the right direction finally !!
Maybe you just need more time?? gary

o

My lotus used to have lots of leaves, both upright and floating. The upright leaves have decreased to only a couple and the floating leaves have decreased in number too. I bought it potted and it was wonderfully healthy. A couple of weeks after it was in the pond i had to treat the pond with a gallon of hydrogen peroxide to kill the string algae. That was over a month ago and the lotus is still dwindling. The surface of the pot is 3" below the surface of the water.

o

How large a pot?

o

The pot is probably a 3-gallon. It is big.

o

That's a good size for many kinds of lotus, a bit small for others and too small for the big kinds. Do you know what kind of lotus you have?

o

Lotus looks pretty in water garden but needs proper care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here