Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

How long does oxygen stay in pond if pump is off

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

That's it - that's my question.

I have a stupid railroad track behind my house and every now and then they spray the weeds along the tracks - this is about 25-30 feet from my pond. So far the fish have survived,previous sprayings - but you never know. Stuff happens sometimes. I want to cover my pond on the day of the spraying with tarp/shade cloth as a precaution and turn off the pump - would they be OK for an entire day with the pump off? This is 800 gals of pretty well aerated water.

Wish I could move. I dont know what their freakin problem is. In an encounter between a lousy weed and a train, the weed is going to lose every time.

Comments (13)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

I can't answer the one about the oxygen but I can answer the one about the weeds. The wheels of the train produce sparks which will often cause brush fires where weeds are left to grow.

• frogman4_gw
    10 years ago

Just to be safe add an aerator line. Place the pump as far as possible from the tracks and cover the pump with a tub of some sort.

• tuder96
    10 years ago

Contact the company spraying the weeds and advise them there is a pond and to please inform you as to their spray schedule so you can prepare for it. As for an aerator for the pond during spraying let me tell you about a story from our water quality expert.

One year at a koi show they had an issue with koi getting lethargic and not looking well. Turns out that the airpump was at ground level and was sucking in all the air at ground level and sending it thru the lines to the tanks, which it is supposed to do, but the air was filled with emissions from cars and such pulling in to drop off fish and equipment as we know CO2 is an issue. So every year now we have a snorkel that goes 12 feet into the air for insuring better cleaner air
    What i am saying is that if you use an air pump please make sure it is in an area where it will not suck in the pesticides and pass it thru to the pond Maybe weed whack the area directly behind the pond so they don't spray it.

Here is a link that might be useful: koi club

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

That is a really good tip. Thank you.

• Jasons34
    10 years ago

Oxygen loss is also determined by the temperature of the water. The warmer the water the quicker it loses oxygen and thus harder to keep oxygen in the water when the pumps are turned off. I have my pond ran off 1 circuit and use an in-line light switch that I can flip to turn off the pumps when I need to do a little maintenance or sometimes I need to switch it when its very windy outside so I don't lose a lot of water from my fountain and spitter. My pond is only a 50 gal pond so oxygen loss would take quicker affect on the fish and I have already went 2 days with my pumps turned off and never had a problem. If you are worried about oxygen loss for the 1 day you have the pump turned off you can add some fresh water to the pond to give it some oxygen.

• tuder96
    10 years ago

This link will lead you to an article by Norm Meck who is a leader on water quality. It discusses dissolved O2 and other chemicals. I would recommend that you read all the articles as they are very informative.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Chemistry

• tuder96
    10 years ago

This link will lead you to an article by Norm Meck who is a leader on water quality. It discusses dissolved O2 and other chemicals. I would recommend that you read all the articles as they are very informative.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Chemistry

• tuder96
    10 years ago

I apologize for the double post I tried to delete one
    but couldn't figure it out

• MagnoliaPonds
    10 years ago

If you keep an aerator on, you will be fine. Also, the cover will keep the water temperature lower and thus, keep more oxygen in the water as Jason34 indicated. Do not let the tarp lay on the water, but keep it elevated as the oxygen exchange occurs on the surface.

• Jasons34
    10 years ago

I honestly wouldn't use a tarp. Actually I wouldn't use a cover at all. If the sun beats down on the cover it will heat up everything its covering. Obviously I would leave the cover lifted off the water like magnoliaponds said to allow air to run under it. If you do use a tarp go with as light of a color as possible.

• MagnoliaPonds
    10 years ago

I agree, Jason34. But if the poster's original concern was they are out there spraying Agent Orange (I am dating myself) then a light weight, light colored tarp is the best alternative. The heat is only one reason to keep it elevated a few inches, it allows heat to escape and the natural exchage if surface oxygen. The required use of an aerator will keep a flow of cooler air in and through the tent.

Not trying argue with anyone.

• Jasons34
    10 years ago

Got to watch when using a tarp though because they are woven thus liquid can still seep through it. If you can get ahold of an actual plastic cover youll be in business

• mckool
    10 years ago

Shalom - maybe a clear plastic paint drop cloth - cheap, easy to store or even throw away. fold the plastic over a couple of 1x2', staple and roll it up when done ?