Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

Crack in Pondsweep Pro 900 skimmer box

lsst
11 years ago

Can anyone tell me exactly what material was used to make the Pondsweep Pro 900 skimmer box? I need to repair a crack.

I installed a Pondsweep Pro 900 skimmer in 2006 and in 2007 the box developed a crack.

Aquascape sent me a replacement box since I had had it installed less than a year.

Five years later the replaced skimmer box has developed a crack. I want to try to repair it.

I contacted Aquascape and have not heard back from them.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• mckool
    11 years ago

Shalom - not familar with that model, but many are made of HDPE, same material as the preformed ponds - becket pump has a repair kit - becketpump.com search pond repair, on this site - 602 responses. there are many suggestions to my pond leak repair thread.

You might check the install to see if there is any stress that is causing the skimmer to crack, a void, a twist in the skimmer, something very slight can do damage over time
    putting pressure on point by leaning on a spot that's not properly supported.

If you have some of the material it can be overlaid over the crack and screwed/secured to the skimmer.

Tanx,
    McKool

• lsst
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks McKool,

When I replaced it in 2007, I made sure and reinforced everything around and behind it.

In 2007, Aquascape said it was a maufacturers defect.

I hate the idea of retrofitting a different brand of skimmer into this area as I made a concrete vault just for this one.

It will be a pain and expensive to have to replace it -not to mention all the new holes in he liner.

• mckool
    11 years ago

Shalom - I to used concrete block and some poured concrete
    for the skimmer box, and now it's been quite a challenge to install a retro bottom drain and have to work totally around exisitng conditions - never thought I'd get to where I needed or wanted to do these upgrades.

It may be wise for you to consider, though internally, reinforce the entire side where the crack occurred - possibily gettng enough material so it only needs to be sealed around the edges(corners) and wherever you used any anchoring screws

• lsst
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mckool,

I know where you are coming from! LOL

Thanks for the advice. I am looking at a couple of ideas
    and I appreciate all and any ideas!

• mckool
    11 years ago

Shalom; keep us posted, you may have a solution for one of us in the future

• duddlydoright
    11 years ago

JB WELD is your friend, stuff is great, comes in a small tube, once dry it should fix your crack. I used it to fix the crack in my fiberglass skimmer

• mike_il
    11 years ago

Isst,

Where is the crack in the skimmer? The skimmer is currently still available from Aquascapes or the Pro1200 is also available sold under the Pond Force PS1200. I understand that Aquascape may stop making this next year.

Mike

• mckool
    11 years ago

Shalom Duddley, which JB Weld as they make several types?

Tanx,
    McKool