Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loriques

i noticed something strange / any ideas of what it is

loriques
13 years ago

hello, this may be a stupid / or crazy question. but i have never seen this before. yesterday i fed my fish some earth worms. other than that the fish are eating blood worms and koi pellets. last night i went to ck on my fish and i noticed that my best fish had a long grayish/whiteish string like thing hanging from his underside. i thought it might be some sort of worm. my husband said it was pooh. but when i clean the pond i find i lots of little round pellet like stuff that i thought was the pooh. so i'm really confused. does anyone have any idea of what this might have been. i have not seen it today but he is real skiddish and has not stayed still long enough for me to see well at all.

i have been using malafix and pemafix in the pond for a week now. will that take care of worms or parisite type worms that the fish may have gotten. i have a medium pond it is 1,000 gallons. the liner has no rocks on the bottom or sand. but there is alot of slug like stuff in the pond, or maybe it is alge of some sort. it is all over the hoses, plant containers, the pond liner everything. i clean the pump bag and filter every few days. also i use good bacteria with barley straw in it.

i can't think of any more info that you may need. but if you have any questions that will help just let me know. i log on and off several times a day. thank you so much for any help at all. shalom, laura

Comments (5)

• loriques
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i am doing a 50% watter change and getting ready to vacume my pond. getting ready for this i took the black net and was getting out all the leaves and walnuts that were on the bottom, then i noticed more strange stuff. there was like clearish jelly looking stuff on the net and there was whiteish string stuff. any idea what this is. i thought for a moment that the jelly looking small clumps might have been the stress coat coming off the fish. but i really don't know. there was alot of the white string looking stuff. it is real smilly. any ideas..

• sleeplessinftwayne
    13 years ago

I think you should stop adding bacteria. I haven't added any in the past six years. It occurs naturally. You mention slugs so my guess is you are seeing the jelly that surrounds snail eggs. The eggs are very tiny and clear at the beginning and difficult to see. If the "white strings" appeared since you began medicating the fish it might be the result of the medication. Normal fecal matter often appears as strings of various colors that dangle from the bottom of the fish. There shouldn't be a lot of it unless you are really over feeding the fish but the meds could be giving the fishies insides a workout. It is hard to tell without more observation from you. Observation is good.
    The round pellets are likely from plants in the area or could be from insects. It could be what is called frass, or droppings from larva (caterpillars). It could even be from a soil additive in potted plants. Walnut trees could be responsible. It is not fish poo. More description(size, color, texture) is needed.

• loriques
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i will take some pics of what i'm seeing and post them. i just went out to the pond and that stringy clear stuff is there again. i thought i had it all out yesterday. but i will defiantly go and take some pics to put up . thank you for all your help.

• nkm56
    13 years ago

I have seen the stringy thing hanging from goldfish, and it is excretement. The jelly-like stuff you're seeing is probably toad or frog eggs. Koi and goldfish poo are not pellets, so I can't answer what that is, but it is most likely something that has fallen into the pond.

I would stop medicating for now, because I don't think you have a problem that needs it.

• loriques
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you so much. i'm still going to take some pics as soon as my hubby gets back with the camra batteries. wouldn't you know it as soon as i went to snap the pic the batteries died. but he will be back shortly and i will get the pics for you. i have some samples of the pellets and the stringy stuff in a bucket untill he gets back , then i will put it on a black paper so you can see what it is. the thing that worries me is that it is some sort of worm or parisite.

i stoped the treatments saterday since that was the last of the 7 days that the bottle said. all of the fin rot and white spots seem to be all cleared up and the fish are eating good and swimming all around. so i think they are ok. i have not seen the stringy thing hanging from the fish anymore.

but i thought pooh seemed to just kind of break apart real easy and this whiteish, jelly looking string stuff stays togeather when you handle it.

i will have pics real soon.

thank you for all your help

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County