Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loriques

does anyone eles have a crazy husband??? you will laugh :)

loriques
13 years ago

well i have seen it all now. my wonderful hubby took me to a koi fish show and sale about 2 hours way from our house. even though the koi were not a deceant quality i still bought a few just to see what they will grow to look like. when i got home and after letting the bag float in the water for awhile i went to release them into our small pond for a quaritnee.. well you would never believe what i found. a baby bass.. my husband was laughing and smiling so big. he was too happy that he bought a baby bass for my wonderful koi pond... hehehe, i can't believe him..

will the bass hurt my pond... hehehe i still can't stop laughing at him, he looked like a little kid who has stolen the cookie jar from grandmaw..

Comments (14)

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

As long as the bass and koi are close to the same size, it should be fine. As it gets older though, it will want something live to eat. He will keep the tadpoles down as well as the frogs as it gets bigger.

• loriques
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the little bass is about 3 inches long. will he eat my comments. they are about the same size?? i think i need to move him to his own pond. i'm getting woried about my other fish.. now the big question is how in the world do i catch him. he is in a 1000 gallon pond.. any ideas...

• ponderpaul
    13 years ago

a hook & a cricket LOL
    My favorite breeder feeds his bass (of all sizes)pelletized food and they go crazy for it just like koi

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

that bass will quickly outgrow the koi and he has a HUGE mouth. He will eat any fish he can get in there. They are predators and a bright shiney comet or koi will make an excellent meal. Bluegills are not as able to eat koi though so maybe he would be happy with one of those. You might be able to catch him in a minnow trap. Or a hook and cricket, as ponderpaul suggests.

• loriques
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hehehe, i think he died anyways. the other koi i killed. they all had ich and were very poor quality. it was not carolina fish. i did not get any from him. there was another show about an hour away from greensboro at a plant store. it was a home breader. his fish were a little better but not really. they too were sick. it is so sad to find all of these fish sick and such. but i do have some better koi that i don't want to get sick..

big hugs. laura

• jennyb5149
    13 years ago

oh you made me laugh Laura!

My fiance keeps threatening to put a baby walleye in the pond. He is an avid angler with a particular affinity for walleye fishing and thinks a walleye would be the best addition ever to my pond. Of course, he knows I would have to beat him senseless if he does such a thing because the walleye would eventually eat my koi. We laugh about that a lot!

I'm not glad your fish died but it is a good thing. Bass are predators who will eat fish that are smaller than them ... or even bigger fish if they can somehow fit part of it in their mouths! LOL When we've been fishing, my fiance and I have caught 4" baby bass on crankbaits bigger than they are!

The pretty colored, shiny koi would have been an irresistible treat for the bass once it got larger. Also probably why my fiance also teasingly threatens to use my koi for muskie bait once they get larger!

The walleye population in the lakes around here is declining because of the explosion in the bass population. The bass eat all the baby walleye fry. They are voracious eaters!

As I said, good thing the bass is gone. I've read on here that some people use smaller pan fish like crappies, sunfish or bluegills to keep the fry and tadpole populations down in their pond but I haven't tried it. Maybe some day if I catch a trophy sunnie or crappie, I'll add it in with the kids! :-)

• loriques
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hehehe, that is too cute.. jenny b...

well i now have another bass and one crappie in the pond.. he went out fishing and took the cast net. and low and behold i went to the pond this morning i found a little surprise.. i'm going to so kill him.

but i think i have an answer to his adiction to game fish. i was going to build another pond for my commets and shubbukin ( i so can't spell that). but since my pond is testing good. i have decided that i'm going to build him a pond for his fish.. i will make me another pond next year. for now i have put them in a preformed pond that i installed for my anticipated fry next year. it needs a smaller pump for the fry but it should be ok for a week or so untill i finish his pond.

hehehe, the things we do for our hubby's.. but as long as he is enjoying having ponds and fish too he wont stop me from building the ponds i want.. at least i hope not.

i have become adicted to ponds very quickly. righ now i have enough wiring in for 4 ponds total on the side of the house. next year we are going to leavel off the back yard and put in alot of dirt to help with that. we have plans for a large patio with rocks.. so i'm going to save alot of $$ to put in a new fuse box so i can have an extra place for a breaker and then i can put in two more ponds back there. i am wanting one real big one and one medium sized one. right now i have the 55 gallon preformed one, a liner one that is aprox 1,000 gallons. ( my husband says it is only 300 gallons , but when i put in the size and depth on a site that has a formula for the gallons it comes out to 1,224. so i stay it is about 1000. i think i'm more right than him.) hehehe,,, and i'm putting in his pond, it will be 6x3x4.. i hope that will be big enough for his fish. but that is all the room i have on the side to make it..

well enough of my ramblings..

have a great day every one.. hugs, shalom, laura

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Laura, I know you want to indulge your hubby's love for native fish, but every time he puts one of those things in your pond, he endangers the lives of all of your fish. Wild fish carry all sorts of microscopic parasites. They are quite used to living with them since wild waters have them all the time, but those parasites can kill your goldfish really fast.

• loriques
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh my gosh. i had no idea. will the malafix and premafix take care of these. i have been using them in the pond since saterday, because of the other two koi with parisites. right now i have them in the small pond by them selves. but they were in my main pond for at least 12 hours before i saw them.

i'm going have a sit down with him tonight. he has been off fishing all day. if he brings home another fish live for the pond and hurts my koi or gold fish i'm going to kill him.. it is time for him to stop.. :)

thank you so much ccoombs for letting me know..

• loriques
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well, he has done it again. he brought home two baby catfish. but these are not in my pond. they are in the small pond with the bass. no way he is going to put it in my pond. i'm so going to kill him. i think i need to build him a large pond and have it stocked for him.. that would fix his adiction..

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    13 years ago

long ago my kids brought home a crayfish from a local ditch and put it in my goldfish pond and everything died except the crayfish.
    p.s. all husbands are crazy.
    min

• loriques
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh my gosh, i would never think a cray fish would kill the fish. i'm so glad my son has not thought of bringing some home . they just use them for bait.

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

The cray fish did not kill the fish....the parasites that they carried did. the same parasites that are coming in to your pond on the wild fish your hubby keeps dumping in there. That is one of the most dangerous things he can do for the health of your pond. Make him stop!

• loriques
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i explained it to him and he has promised not to put in any fish, the bass was taken out a few days ago and he never put the catfish in with my fish. he put them in the small pond. i did not have anyfish in there yet. thank goodness. but i started using malafix and premafix on my pond with the kio just in case the bass brought anything in to the pond. i'm so glad i did not let him put in the other fish. but he wont do that anymore. thank you for letting me know cindy. hugs laura