Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

Wandering Jew (Tradescantia zebrina) in waterfall

CaraRose
10 years ago

I was at a local nursery which has a large water garden section, and noticed that they had wandering jew shoved in a crack in some rocks where the water was dripping down. I asked them about it and they said it fell out of a hanging basket, so they just shoved it in there and it's been thriving for the last month.

I grabbed a $4 wandering jew plant the other day, rinsed the roots off and have its roots in the water (one vine in the upper pool, and one vine in the waterfall filter) while hanging over the side of my falls. If it grows, it should look good growing over and out of the falls there.

Right now the falls has a corkscrew rush that I just poured gravel over it's roots to hold in place, marigolds, creeping jenny, lots of water hyacinth in the upper pool, plus more in my basket holding quilt batting (water pools in that enough to support them), and a bit of sedum that I stuck as a tiny thing out of curiosity if it would grow or not under those conditions (I probably shouldn't be surprised that the answer is "yes", I've had sedum growing and flowering that was dug out and thrown on concrete and forgotton about for a year).

Oh, and plenty of string algae too. :/ I'm probably going to try and pull some hunks of that out.

Comments (5)