Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

is this algae different...?

vieja_gw
13 years ago

I have been blessed for a couple years now with no algae bloom- just a few strands of string algae in the small 250 G. free-form pond. The sides of the small pond however are green with some kind of algae that is very short & clings like glue to the pond sides! The goldfish I see often go up to the side & seem to nibble/yank off on some of it & I believe I was told to NOT scrape this algae off as it was good for the pond? A friend (despite my warnings!) placed some 'pretty white rocks' in the pond bottom of his new pond .... & of course now has not-so pretty 'green rocks' there instead! That algae is similar to what I have on the sides of my pond but the friend's grows about 4 inches long & when trying to pull it off, it is slippery & just slips throguh one's fingers & sticks like glue to the rock surfaces (he has just new small 2 inch goldfish but mine are 5-6 inch older ones). Wonder if these two algaes are the same & should not be removed but mine is just kept short on the pond walls by the fish that nip it? The friend was amazed at the feet- after- feet of the long string algae he can pull out of the water! I luv the good feeling of pulling that stuff by the yard when I do get some growing; have to admit it is easy to do!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living