Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cweathersby

Moldy fish food

cweathersby
13 years ago

Hey guys, I had a 50 pound bag of fish food in the back of the truck the other day and it rained. That was last week. Opened the bag today and it's all moldy. Is it still safe? I hate to waste all that money.

Thanks for your help.

Carrie

Comments (12)

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

Carrie,

I hate to waste money too but I wouldn't think it would be very healthy for the fish to use the moldy food.

Anne

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Hate to say it, but throw it out. Moldy stuff contains toxins that can actually kill fish.

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. Fed some to the dogs, and they don't seem to mind it. They love fish food! But it makes for an awfully expensive dog food.

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Don't feed it to the dogs either! Those mold toxins can harm a dog too. No animal should eat molded food.

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tell that to the 5 strays hanging around! This german shepherd that just came up is eating me out of house and home.

• ponderpaul
    13 years ago

cweathersby: you've got to be a county boy too. LOL Used to have a friend that raised rabbits, stray dogs got shot and put out on the road -- roadkill you know. That was down in the pineywoods. Maybe moldy fish food would work the same way!

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm a country girl with way too big of a heart. I think there must be a sign (only visible to dogs and cats) that directs them straight to my house. I've got 2 cats and 4 dogs, all strays, all fixed, and it's way too much. In the last 4 weeks 2 new strays have come up and the German Shephard won't leave - the other new stray got hit by a truck - but it wasn't my fault!
    I wish I had access to a pound, but they don't accept dogs from outside the city.
    But I'll be danged if I'm gonna worry that the moldy food might hurt the dogs I wish would just go away !!!
    No harm intended, but I really can't afford to fix and feed every dog in North East Texas.

• ponderpaul
    13 years ago

boy, feedin & fixin all those strays would sure buy a nice red koi ------ and a white one and a tri-color and a-------
    I buy my fish from Enslee's Fish Farm just north of Connerville, Ok, about 4 hrs from you. Usually a good selection of fish, very good prices compared to what you see online, great people to do business with - don't remember seeing any solid reds though

• drh1
    13 years ago

Hi Carrie,
    I go along with the "pitch it" group on this one. For example...just to get a bit on the technical side...one of the molds (aspergillis) that can form creates a compound called aflatoxin which happens to be one of the most potent liver carcinogens known. Not that you necessarily have that in the food but you never know. Much better to be safe, lose a few $$ on the food rather than spend $$$$$ on vet/med bills down the line. And having New England DNA....you can't believe how hard it is for me to toss away something I've spent money on!!! :-D
    ---David

• Mark Rogers
    3 years ago

I accidentally said my job call Marine Fish some moldy food what should I do to help them

• Mark Rogers
    3 years ago

accidentally fed my tropical marine fish moly food what can I do to help them

• Mark Rogers
    3 years ago

Change out my filters have my protein skimmer on high put denitrater in the water. Please disregard the rest of this I could not delete it for some reason (dentist do you know traders in the water)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner