Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tunilla

Fish and vibration

tunilla
9 years ago

Hi all,
Previous participant on the conifer-forum, I am now directing me to you folks to see if anyone can help me with the following problem.Several years ago I constructed a rockery into wich I installed seven fish ponds, made of large plastic tree-containers, sunk into the ground. They are between 3 and 4 feet in diameter and about 2 1/2 feet deep . I planted several conifers and other trees amongst them but some of these are now getting too big.
So,I intend to dig up and transplant some of these but,space being limited,the idea is to use a motorised power shovel (like Dyna diggr) in order to do surgical transplants,rather than creating big craters and ruining the rock-garden. The ponds are full of ordinary gold-fish and lots of plants.
Now my question is : will the vibration of the shovel harm the fish ? I remember being told one shoud never break the ice on a fish pond for this vibration is supposed to kill the fish !
One option would be to catch all the fish and to move them to a safer place whilst digging ;unfortunately, with all the plants in those ponds, I would rather avoid that if at all possible.
Just to be more precise ,two of the would-be transplants grow right next to the ponds,so the blade of the shovel will be hammering away real close.
Thanks for your input! T.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner