Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcjcjcx

Dropsy & bleeding from the gills?

jcjcjcx
14 years ago

I just returned from a 2 week vacation. Fish and pond look fine. I had cleaned the biofilter and skimmer prior to leaving. Most of the plants are doing very nicely. The fish are active and look healthy.

Then suddenly today, I noticed that one of my original goldfish (got her back in 2005) had both eyes bulging. She also seemed to be bloated all over (even her head looked bigger with her eyes spaced out even wider). I removed her from the pond and could see she was pineconing. I'm thinking that these are the classic signs of dropsy. Upon removing her from the water I also noticed that there was blood coming out from her gills. Is this a part of dropsy or is something else going on? My husband thought that since she seemed in such bad condition and also he didn't want to risk infecting the other fish, it would be best to put her out of her misery, which has now been done.

Any thoughts anyone as to what could have caused this and what exactly is this? Also could this be infectious to the other fish? The rest all seem fine (10 goldfish & 1 koi most of which are small, but the largest are 4-5", pond is 1500 gal metered). Are there any precautions I should take, ie. should I treat the whole pond with melafix?

Judy

Comments (6)

• horton
    14 years ago

Judy, if a fish becomes stressed out it can cause bleeding from the gills. Since you have observed the classic symptoms of what you believe is Dropsy, I would say your goldfish is not going to get better, no matter what you do.

Test your water for ammonia. As a rise in ammonia in the pond, can burn a fishes gills and bring on bleeding.

I tend to think that an advanced case of Dropsy is the cause and euthanasia would be the kindest treatment.
    If you are up to it, you can euthanize the fish in a bowl of tepid water, with a dozen drops of Oil of Cloves mixed in.
    "Horton"

• jcjcjcx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Horton. With all the rain, plus a 20% water change prior to my trip, I'd be surprised if my ammonnia is high.. Interesting. I will certainly do all my water tests tomorrow to be sure all is in order.

We thought that 'Lilu' was looking really bad and figured it was too late now to save her. Seeing the bleeding really surprised me though, never would have expected that. In the past I used oil of cloves (still have it), however this time I let my husband take care of it and he took the strike head/immediately decapitate method... (I couldn't watch). In hindsight, I should have used the oil of cloves (can't believe I forgot about it). Poor fish. I suppose the important thing is that we didn't leave her to suffer.

Judy

• horton
    14 years ago

Judy, sometimes I think the "strike the head" method works best and quickest. No matter what method has to be used, it is not something most of us want to do.

Sorry, for some reason, I missed the part, in your first post, where you said your husband had already taken care of the job. I was just scanning quickly through it and that part did not penetrate my thick scull.
    Anyway it's done and over.

I don't think you will have to treat your whole pond, but doing it with Melafix, would not harm anything, if you still choose to do it as a precautionary measure.
    Take care,
    "Horton"

• jcjcjcx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just checked the ammonia and it was 0. I need to buy a new nitrite/nitrate kit and ph kit as I threw them out (expired) prior to my vacation. The readings had been good all summer so far. Water is slightly greenish right now. Not sure what else could have stressed out that one goldfish, maybe I'll never know, but at least the rest of fish seem fine so far.
    One thought is that just before I left (plus 2 weeks prior) I had put in some Interpret Pond Balance as I saw some string aglae starting and wanted to keep it from running rampant in my pond while I was gone. I guess if that was the cause, then I'd see more than one fish affected.
    Only other thought is that no one fed the fish during that 2 weeks. However in the past they seem to do fine nibbling on the aquatic plants.
    I guess I'm reaching for straws trying to figure this one out. Be nice to know to prevent it from happening again. I guess I'll have to file it with my many other unsolved mysteries.
    Judy

• madtripper
    14 years ago

Dropsy will show the scales sticky out from the side of the body - a realy ugly sight. I have never found a cure for dropsy, nor a reason for it. Usually it is just one fish in a tack with the problem and it dies. The rest rarely get sick. That experience is from fish in an aquarium.

• maryo_nh
    14 years ago

Judy, I use Pond Balance on and off, and never had any fish get sick right after. I just make sure it's completely dissolved, and put it in early in the morning. It does work great on string algae, doesn't it?
    I'm sorry about your poor fish. I have no wisdom to offer, only sympathy...

Mary