Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19770858

Pond Extension Advice ?

User
12 years ago

Hi,

I have just built a pond extension on to my existing pond, I have a total of 3 ponds, the new one (top pond) which I estimate to be about 600-800 gallons, a middle pond which is about 200 gallons and a bottom pond which is about 600 gallons and is currently my primary pond. I live against a mountain and my yard is stepped, so I couldn't build a large pond, I have pretty much build a pond on each level. The top one flows into the bottom one with a water fall.

The new addition which sits at the top will ultimately flow down into the other two ponds.

My question is, how do I go about merging the ponds without affecting the fish. I have a biological filter which has been running for about 1 year and is stable as far as I can tell and works nicely and will be big enough for all 3 ponds, it is a 100Gallon filter. I build it with the idea of extending the pond.

My original idea was to build a temp filter and cycle the new extension and eventually join them up once cycled. I was wondering if it makes more sense to join them now or do i run the risk of upsetting/killing the fish (Koi and Goldfish) about 10 Koi.

Or should I go with the original idea and cycle the new pond first ?

Thanks

Comments (5)