Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mckool

External pump and "P" pot

mckool
11 years ago

Shalom - anyone have any experience with the priming pot separted from the pum by about 6" the pump is 3600gpm, 2" intake. I'd like to install a 1" suction line between the pump and priming pot for drawing from the existing skimmer to keep it working, as well as, the new 2" suction line for a retro bottom drain. pond sixe is about 600+ gallons, 5 x10 geneal size, and depth from 12" to 29" via a sloped bottom toward the 29" level. Approx 12" waterfall at top end opposite the retro bottom drain install.

So I'm wondering if separatingg the pump and prime pot by about 7" and installing the skimmer tee will have any negative affects on functionability?

Tanx,

McKool

Comments (5)

• joe_09
    11 years ago

what i would do is to put a adjustable three way value before the priming pot.then run your filter and skimmer off the three way.you can adjust the amount of flow from each with the three way.just remember to seal all your connections good or you will loose your prime on your pump.

• mckool
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shalom: The main line into the prime pot would be the 2" retro bottom drain; the ohter line 1" would be from the skimmer that has a filter at the intake so water from the skimmer would come from below the water level in the skimmerand be mechanically filtered. Thought that maybe a better suction would result if the skimmer pick up was between the pump and prime pot - this had been supported by a pond/pump equipment distributor
    sales person( been down this road before - Amen??) since I'm gong to make a pump house to go over the pump and to house electrical switched outlets for the pumps( main pump, air pump,and outlet for backup pump and maybe pond lights), hopefully also willrun a aereation pipe (/2") around at least part of the pond bottom perimeter to assist flow to the retro drain.
    Separating the pump and prime pot may make the install a little easier. Waiting for the pump and pipe fittings to arrive so I can dry fit the setup prior to glue time and only do it once - that will be a first.

As an addition; the pickup from the skimmer would also act as a siphon break if the water level dropped unexpectedly and save pumping the pond dry via the retro bottom drain.

May also investigate a low level shut-off switch for the electrical side, as well and if all goes well, this will be the last major ponding adventure.

• mike_il
    11 years ago

Mckool,

Either way will work. The 1 inch line going to the skimmer will need a ball valve on it. I am not crazy about putting a small strainer on this line. Yes it will break the suction on the pump no matter where it is installed provided the strainer is not clogged. I would prefer to see a 2" line run to the skimmer with a ball valve on the bottom drain and skimmer. This will give you total control over the pond. A three way valve will work but I am not crazy about them. Putting the line going to the skimmer between the primer pot and the pump will probably not increase the suction provided the friction loss in each situation does not change.

Mike

• mckool
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shalom - good thoughts, I'll conisder larger on the skimmer,(at least I'll make it to be able to increse once whatever is used can be changed) yes, both lines will be separately valves - 3-way will work okay, but it does limmit any specific change that may be in order for a short term flow diversion for a specific issue in either pond or skimmer, we agree on the 3-way.

Tanx,
    McKool

• mckool
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shalom; pump arrived today, looks like I'll have about 17" horizontal run between the "P" pot and the location where I 90 down into the pond and filter this will be across the skimmer so I can still use the filter pad that came with the skimmer - what that results in a redesign of the pump house interior organization as I'm staying with 24" wide and 45" long - still think it will work okay, I just won't have room for the one pressure filter that I had planned to relocate into the pump house.

McKool

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner