Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennyb5149

pictures of my pond - warning! lots of pictures

jennyb5149
13 years ago

Finally! Here are pictures of the pond I constructed with all the helpful suggestions and advice of you fantastic people on this forum. THANK YOU!!!

Sorry I took so long to get these up here....just shy about showing these to everyone! Hope all the help I've been given is reflected in the pictures!

{{gwi:228529}}

{{gwi:228530}}

{{gwi:228531}}

{{gwi:228533}}

{{gwi:228534}}

{{gwi:228535}}

{{gwi:228536}}

{{gwi:228537}}

{{gwi:228538}}

{{gwi:228539}}

{{gwi:228540}}

{{gwi:228541}}

Comments (27)

• duddlydoright
    13 years ago

looks really nice, what lilly is that? it has red leaves?

• jennyb5149
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Duddly- that's a tropical night blooming lily named Red Flare. I have it planted in something called a thermoplanter. Its a planter that I can plug in...it is supposed to keep the plant roots warm so I can put in the pond earlier in the spring and keep it in later in the fall. Time will tell I guess. Thanks for the nice comments!

• rsingley
    13 years ago

Hmmm, thermoplanter. Need to check that out.

Very nice pond. Love the Hydrangea, I have one right behind my pond as well.

• hardin
    13 years ago

Very very nice, Jenny. You have done an excellent job. I love all of your plants, they are lovely. Give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.

Vickie

• koijoyii
    13 years ago

Jenny:

Very, very nice. I just love your butterfly koi in the fourth picture. The white one with just a few spots of orange and black. Your landscaping is just gorgeous. Looks like a professional installed the pond and landscaped. Give yourself a huge pat on the back. You did a great job.

Gary beat me to the stick inquiring about that lily. Now I want one too, as well as the heated planter. lol

Jenny

P.S. I could look at pond pics all day every day. lol It is truly an addiction for me. I am going to put your pics in my favorites to help me though the winter. Oooops! Sorry didn't mean to say that nasty six letter word.

• jennyb5149
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the very kind words everyone! Here's a couple more pictures. My fiance surprised me and went out and took a few more at night after I went to bed last night. The pond really isn't as brightly lit as the pictures show....he had to use some trick of photography to get the pictures to come out. Otherwise, they would have looked like bright dots of light in a very black background.

Jenny - I know what you mean about the doldrums of winter. I came to this forum everyday last winter just so I could read about ponds until I could actually work on my pond! LOL

I have no idea if the thermoplanter will work or not but the reviews I read seemed promising. I got mine on ebay. It wasn't the cheapest item around - $39.99. But, I figure if I can bring my tropical lily in for the winter, put it in a tote with some water still planted in the thermoplanter, shine a light on it for a couple hours a day, get it through the winter and not have to buy another tropical in the spring it will be well worth it!

I got the lily on ebay too! LOL Can't tell I'm ebay addicted, right? The seller's name is bloomingwaters. I've gotten two lilies from the seller and they've both been really good quality! In fact that tropical lily in the picture has only been in the pond for 2 weeks so you are basically looking at the actual lily that was shipped to me. Two new pads have popped up since then but that's it.

Thanks again everyone!

{{gwi:228542}}

{{gwi:228544}}

• horton
    13 years ago

Beautiful pond and plantings all around it.Very well done Jenny!
    The night time shots look great.
    "Horton".

• marn_eh
    13 years ago

It's charming. Really love that red leaved lily. Wish I could grow something similar here.

You've really worked hard to make it fit into your landscape. That's not an easy thing to accomplish. Kudos!

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Really nice Jenny!

• copanolady
    13 years ago

That's just beautiful ~ Your plantings are beautiful too ~ you can tell you've put a lot of thought and hard work into your pond(s) and it shows. Bravo!

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

I add my kudos for a lovely pond. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne

• mollywinnie
    13 years ago

that is so pretty

• loriques
    13 years ago

i love it. your pond is so cool. what are the plants that are growing on the rocks. i would love to do that with my waterfall rocks

• jennyb5149
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Laura....the plants that I have on the actual waterfall rocks are just parrots feather. I just have them tucked around the edges out of the running water but still where they will get some moisture. I hope that is what you're refering to. If I completely missed the mark and didn't answer your question, please let me know which plant you're looking at and in which picture and I'll be happy to let you know what I got growing.

The beautiful thing about all the plants is that I've been blessed with a bunch of women in my family who are green thumbs. I got most of my ground covers from my aunt and plants from my mother. All of it came from divisions out of their yards years ago. Now, all their "donations" have been growing in my yard and were ready to be divided to landscape the pond.

• okiee
    13 years ago

Your pond is so pretty and clean what kind of filteration do you use?

• maggie_berry
    13 years ago

The pond is so Very Beautiful!

• drh1
    13 years ago

Excellent job!
    ---David

• ponderpaul
    13 years ago

I need to re-read the 10 commandments, but I don't think coveting your neighbors pond is specificaly mentioned so I believe I am alright!

• goodkarma_
    13 years ago

Gorgeous pond in every way!!! What are your plans for the Koi as they grow?

Lisa

• sheepco
    13 years ago

Way to go Jenny! Beautiful pond!

Don't be so bashful - most of the photos I've posted have a hose lying around somewhere! Your gardens are lovely, and nice job fiance!

S

• jennyb5149
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the very kind comments!

As far as breaking the 11th commandment, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's pond, well, I'm very guilty of that one. It is all the pics on this site that I've examined with almost stalker-ish fanaticism that has given me so many ideas and inspiration!

Okiee-I'm using a 20 watt Pondmaster UV light and a discontinued filter that I got for very, very cheap (the Hozelock trinamic). The filter is rated for ponds up to 3000 gallons with heavy koi loads. As my pond is only about 1200 gallons, I think it's doing its job of keeping the pond very clear! LOL I oversized the filter because I know that my pond is overstocked.

Lisa - I am going to be adding a 500 gallon addition to the pond this fall to hopefully give the koi some extra breathing space to grow. But, I know that because of the small size of my pond - even with the addition - I will have to likely have to part with some of my koi eventually. A local cafe/pottery shop/artist's retreat has several ponds with koi. I might ask them if they want some of my koi if they outgrow the home I can give them. I'm also planning on hooking up with some other local water garden societies so I can meet people who may welcome some adopted koi. I just want to make sure they go to a good home someday. But, before I get ahead of myself, I probably should just try to get them through a Wisconsin winter!! LOL (see my post on overwintering koi under thick ice)

• helenh
    13 years ago

It is beautiful and I know you will enjoy it. Ponds are so interesting. The lights are nice. I can imagine sitting out by it on a summer night.

• violet_2010
    13 years ago

Every thing is Gorgeous. I especially like the way you have the falls. I like everything!!! Thanks for the pictures. Very Very Nice.

• jerrie
    13 years ago

I absolutely love the night shots. Very pretty.

• Sheribuch711
    13 years ago

Beautifully done !!!

• Ella5
    13 years ago

Your pond is peaceful and inviting. The banks are quiet place to picnic, read a book, or enjoy some time with a friend. Nicely done.
    Ella

• sheba1
    9 years ago

Great looking pond! I noticed all the stone on the top of your lillie. Do you have it planted in any type of medium?