Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pikecoe

Yellow Primrose, Bacopa and Creeping Jenny

pikecoe
16 years ago

I have these plants growing in my skippy filter and it is really getting pretty. This being my first summer with them, I'm wondering what will happen with them this winter. Will they just die back and come back next summer or will they die and have to be started all over again next summer. I wouldn't think that they would make good house plants over the winter. Any suggestions? Scott, you are not too far south of me, do you know? Glenda

Comments (10)

• lsst
    16 years ago

I do not know about the first two but my Creeping Jenny overwinters fine here in zone 7.

• nkm56
    16 years ago

Bacopa is hardy to zone 6. I'm in zone 6 and this is my first year with it, so I have no experience with it. However, I'm hoping it will do just fine.

• comettose
    16 years ago

Glenda, are you Zone 8 or 9? All should be fine in either zone IMO. -CT

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think it is 7b, but not sure. It took a long time for it to get started from the cuttings and I was hopeing It would not have to be re-started every year. Glenda

• comettose
    16 years ago

Glenda,

I thought bacopa was more on tropical and didn't know it was hardy to Zone 6 as per nancym1956's post. From Encyclopedia of Water Garden Plants the following:

Bacopa caroliniana (Zones 9-11)
    Bacopa lengera 'Variegata' (Zones 9-11)
    Bacopa monnieri, aka Water Purslane (Zones 6-11)
    Bacopa myriophylloides, aka thin-leafed bacopa (Zones 9-11)

Three out of four are tropical and won't survive your Zone 7b as per my reference, so to be on the safe side I'd bring some in and leave some out to see what happens unless you know you have the hardy type.

Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' or Creeping Charlie is hardy in Zones 4 - 10, so no problems there. It does not have to overwintered in the water either, but in soil if you want. I have it growing in dry shade if that gives you any idea of how invasive it is and tough.

For yellow primrose do you mean Ludwigia arcuta or Primula japonica or something else?

• scottspond
    16 years ago

Glenda, I have never grown those plants and have no idea on how to over-winter them. If it really worries you, as suggested before, keep some of each inside and leave the rest in the filter. That way, if what you leave outside doesn't make it, you have replacements. Sorry that I couldn't be much more help.

Happy ponding,
    Scott

• nkm56
    16 years ago

Here is a link to where I purchased my Bacopa and the care required per this seller. This was what I was going by. There seems to be some descrepancy if other sources are saying different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Garden - Bacopa

• sheepco
    16 years ago

I think what I have is Evening Primrose. It comes back every year (in the garden) here in zone 4. So does creeping jenny.

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is Primrose Creeper and hardy to zone 8 and Lemon Bacopa. I should have gone back and looked it up sooner. My Papyrus and umbrella palms and all my marginals did fine last year, so I think I will just see what happens with leaving them outside. Even my tropical lilies did fine in the pond in about 2 to 2 1/2 ft water level. I had pulled all Anacharis out of the pond and put it in a tub on the back porch and it just kept growing all winter. I'll just leave it in the pond this winter also. Thanks everyone. Glenda

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Lucky you, I have to replace most of my floaters and oxygenators every year!

But I love to keep learning about what might work!

S