Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron_mummert

Today's pump quality - is Beckett still 'decent'?

ron_mummert
12 years ago

Forgive me for overworking this old question, but most of the info on this topic is a tad dated. With today's tendency for manufacturers to build on the cheap, & attach a once respected brand name to a throwaway product, I just wanted a expert's (you) opinion on the subject.

13 years ago I was a pond newbie. I installed a preformed 165 gallon "tub" & all the equipment that came with the kit. The pump was a small Beckett, submerged in a "battery box" with sponge-like filters. This pump ran 24/7, all 4 seasons, froze solid one winter, & is still running for the people who bought my house last year. I NEVER had a problem with this little workhorse. So.... I have pond fever again, & inherited another "tub" of about 220 gallons (I'm guessing).

I have four highjacked 4" comets that have been putting up with life in a 20 gallon plastic tub for a year. They deserve better. So I'm starting over. I'll probably copy the set-up I had before - in-pond filter & pump with a fountain head plus a 7 - 10' tube routed via diverter to a small falls feature maybe a foot or so higher than the pond edge.

I'm certainly inclined to buy a Beckett again based upon past performance, hopefully assuming that Beckett hasn't degraded its standards. IF SO, any recommendations? Money, within reason, ain't the issue. I don't particularly trust the Big Box or no-name stuff I've seen on line. Also, if there any improved filter set-ups on the market, don't hesitate to clue me in. Humbly thanking you in advance, Ron.

Comments (5)

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    I've had very good luck with the "pondmaster" series.
    They are magnet driven so only one moving part sealed in epoxy so no oil They are also draw little electricity. For example the 1200GPH draws only 110 watts.
    You probably won't want one that large but they make from 100/3500 GPH Only other pump I've run is an "Iwaki"
    Run from 81/04 ,24/7 without any problem . To my knowledge it is still being used . problem with that brand is the cost BUT they guarantee it for 10 years rather than 3. Have heard good things about Beckett but have no personal experience gary

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

I am like Gary. I have a Pondmaster with a pre-filter that rinses off easily that has withstood my "wholesome neglect" for 5 years with no complaints. I have once replaced the impeller and housing for a total cost of $14.

My pump is a Model 1300 I think. I have a 160 gal pond and it pumps enough water for a waterfall and stream and just keeps going and going.

Anne

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

While your previous Beckett may have done a great job for you that isn't the norm. I've read many, many threads on various boards about them breaking down. Beckett and Little Giant are the low end of pond pumps and often leak oil.

Buy a Pondmaster, or another mag drive pump, you won't be sorry. They use less electricity too.

• chi2aznan
    12 years ago

I have used Becket pump in my skimmer, which runs 24/7 and am now using it in my new bigger pond with no problems, even when the net and filter get clogged up and the water to the skimmer is minimal. I built a bigger pond, like they say always go bigger. I do have an external pump which also runs 24/7. I went with the external to hopefully save on electricity and that it will last longer and it's stronger. So far I haven't been disappointed. If you don't have the need for anything larger, that should suit you fine. Also since you can purchase through Home Depot or Lowes (they carry those brands) you can always bring it back (save your reciept).

• ron_mummert
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I cruised through Home Depot to check brands, & found that they stock only Beckett. Looking at Beckett's site, it seems they're still made in USA, & are "oil-less". I guess we can debate quality forever, but I prefer to deal with a brick/mortar retailer, rather than on line as to any return hassles. There's also a Pondmaster retailer available to me.
    HD had a Beckett in pond filter system that I can't seem to find on line, even on Beckett's site. It's a "flatish" box with bio balls, attached to 5 vertical cylindrical course "sponge" filters on top. Looked to be easier to clean than the in-box types. Anyone here familiar with this set-up?
    My preformed sguashed amoeba shaped tub is closer to 140-170 gallons. Would a 400 GPM pump be overkill? Sorry to pile on.
    Thanks for the responses so far. Ron.