Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andred1101

Building a pond this coming spring!

andred1101
13 years ago

Hey guys,

I am planning on putting a pond in my backyard this coming spring. I plan on building a rectangular pond. 4X12X2 (all in ft) and in the center I want it to drop down to 4 ft. This "gap" in the center will be 2 ft wide, 8 ft long and 2 ft deep (I'm doing this to maximize the volume so I can put a few fish in).

I plan on also bricking up the sides of the pond. I'm obviously going to use underlay and liner. I am worried about the brick walls holding up. Any tips on this?

Also I did the math and this pond will be about 950 gallons in volume. What kind of pump should I utilize?

Also, are there any other things a newbie like me should look out for? I want to build this thing right so I am doing all the research for it now. I figured I have plenty of time to learn until March comes around.

Thanks,

Andre.

Comments (6)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    13 years ago

Hey, Andre. There are so many options it is difficult to say. I don't think it is possible for one pond to be just just like another. In general, you need to decide on a filtration system, a way to keep oxygen levels high and proper electric supply before anything else.

Many posters here don't like rocks or gravel on the bottom since it encourages anaerobic bacteria and traps mulm. Bottom drains are popular. When figuring water volume, remember to add in the amount of water in the filter. Do you want shelves or not, waterfalls or fountain, plants, what kind, koi or comets or something else? Will you need a UV light?

Lots of details, lots of choices. Take a look at the pictures in the gallery, check out your public library and read, read, read. Ask questions. Read the FACs.

IMO, the larger the pump the better, at least twice the water volume per hour.

• blessedfamily
    13 years ago

Only suggestion--build the biggest pond your budget will allow the first time :) I started with a 90 gallon preformed--now I am at 1,000 gallon lined but want bigger :)

• jalal
    13 years ago

Your pond plan sounds like a "formal" design. Your local library should have books on building a pond. Like everyone else here has said lots of decisions to make. If you want the rectangular design you might be able to go with a submersible pump in the centre of your pond with a fountain spray on it. External pumps are more energy efficient but at the bare minimum need a priming pot to trap algae, debri etc. Either way if you want fish you will need some kind of filter so you'll be back to the drawing board again. Lots of research. Post your design on this forum and ask lots of questions and have fun!

• andred1101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of the great advice guys. Since the last time I posted I have changed the location and design of my pond. I think I need to hit the library and do some more research.

I'm thinking of building the pond both underground and above ground, if that makes any sense. This is so I get around all the expensive permits I need to build this thing. So if anyone out there has an above-ground pond please fill me in on how you built the foundations of your walls and made it nice and sturdy.

Thanks,

Andre.

• justplaindon
    13 years ago

Andre,

I'm currently working on a part above ground and part below ground pond. Mine is about 8 feet wide, 40" deep and 22 feet long. Only 16" of the 40" will be above ground. I'm using concrete block filled with concrete and some added rebar to handle the outward force from the weight of all that water.

I'll send you link to what I have (not much at this point) and hope to be able to update with some photos in a couple of weeks.

Feel free to message me here or e-mail me (see website's home page...but I've got it set up to require you to confirm your address before it will send me an e-mail...spam prevention tool).

Thanks,
    Don

Here is a link that might be useful: Description of my pond

• bobgry_aol_com
    13 years ago

Andre:

I love your enthusiasm for your project. Good suggestions and having built a number of ponds over the past 30 years, I have determined certain common denominators.
    1.The more plants (native to your area) you have the more healthy your pond will be.
    2.The larger the pump the better with a way to replace the impeller.
    3.Pump should be furthest place away from the place the water enters the pond as possible.
    4.Install a biofilter to eliminate cleaning chours. We have Biofilter plans available.

A good place to shop for pond materials is www.justponds.com. they also have an 800 # so you can talk to knowledgable staff.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Bob G - Native Pond Society of WNC