Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leedsdesigner

Fast pond maturity

leedsdesigner
10 years ago

At this time last year I installed a pond in my girlfriends back garden (leeds, west yorkshire). The pond is a balance of wildlife and ornamental in its design and measures 18ft x 10 ft with a depth of 4ft. The main filter system returns through a waterfall fed by two pumps each handling around 2000ltr of water per hour, this is in one area of the pond seperated by a channel beneath a bridge around 2ft in depth this leads into the second more natural area of the pond which contains various plants, a depth of around 3ft, surrounded by logs and naturalistic planting. As stated the pond was built around a year ago and planting took place this spring, the pond fluctuates in its clarity been very naturalistic, crystal clear in spring and autumn slight murk in height of summer, This does not bother me as regular angler i see these changes in natural water sources often. The pond is home to 4 carp, 2 tench, 2 shubunkins and various goldfish who are all content and healthy. I have built ponds before both wild and ornamental and various mixtures of the two, I have however never seen one mature so quick, since planting around and in took place in early spring, I now have 3 frogs, 2 toads, dragonfly larvae, waterboatman and pond skaters in abundance. the fish have bred twice this year of which i am surprised at the survival rate considering a natural pond brings so many predators both resident and visiting, at last count i was able to number 22 young fish all swimming happily in a school and growing nicely. I was wondering if anyone else has had a pond mature so quickly?

Comments (3)